Pool Remodel Underway (Northern VA/Wash DC area)

dc935

Jul 16, 2009
Northern VA
Our pool remodel/refresh has begun. Planned to do in 2020, but with all the craziness it pushed to where we are today. Plan is to "refresh" our 20+ year old pool with new coping, tile, & plaster. New equipment and conversion to saltwater plus update pool deck in spring. Outdoor TVs etc will be added as well.

Plan: Remodel existing 19k gallons free form pool; 3-8ft depth. Spill over spa.
> Coping: Silver Travertine
> Waterline/Step Tile: NPT Lightwaves
> Plaster: PebbleSheen Blue Surf w/Shimmering Seas

(2015) Build out of Patio Areas: Pool was built in 2002 and was the only thing in back. You can see the pool deck was very small. We expanded out with 2 areas (pavers), sitting walls/lighting, fire pit, playground area, etc. Also did the Episode Landscape Speakers (12) around the entire area and one buried subwoofer that booms. Fast fwd 7+ years later it still sounds fantastic and is invisible. Folks always wonder where the sound is coming from :) Runs on Crown 1k Watt amp + Sonos.

Paver patio areas/fire pit build pics (2015):
Trying to figure out the paver color.
A1rs.JPGBrs.JPGCrs.JPGDrs.JPGErs.JPGFrs.JPGG2rs.JPGGrs.JPGHrs.JPGIrs.JPG
Trees/shrubs/plants are all mature now, so its neat to see how it looked back then. We have an ginormous picture window that overlooks area, but tried to get a panoramic shot back then.

Aug 2022: Fast fwd to now :) This forum has been so helpful, so I will try and keep this up to date as we progress with the ongoing pool remodel itself. The pool is drained but waiting on materials and weather to cooperate. More to follow.

Reactions: sls
Update (9/14): PebbleSheen was completed Aug 31st, then acid wash and 4 Water Trucks to fill pool the next day. Pool company is still doing the plaster care to ensure start up done to specs rather than me mucking it up. Really love the whole look so far (Travertine/NPT Lightwaves/PebbleSheen Blue Surf), although it still has a few more weeks to fully cure (per PTI). Sadly after it cures, ill likely close it for winter. Final color may still change but will be glad not to have to deal with this remodel next spring, and just focus on install of new equipment, decking, etc.
  • Some hiccups along the way due to weather, product availability, and schedule mix ups, and def will be glad to not have to do this again for awhile.
  • At initial pool fill, the water was so murky, I was worried. The pump ran 24-7 and it cleared up in a few days and is now crystal clear :)
  • PebbleSheen Blue Surf with Shimmering Seas finish = AWESOME/LOVE IT! We previously had light turquoise color and went for the medium blue color. BS+SS delivers. The SS is a nice touch. Wish I went with more of it.
  • Biggest surprise was the waterline and step tile. My kids picked NPT Lightwaves for it's crazy shimmer. I didn't want to go blingy, but its really beautiful and like a chameleon. Subtle hues unless you view from correct angle, and then it shines and dazzles. It moves as you do around the pool. Very cool :cool:
Here are some pics. Thanks TFP.
D2_Ers.jpg
D2_Frs.jpg
D2_Grs.jpg
d4rs.jpg
d5rs.jpg
d6rs.jpgd7rs.jpg
d8rs.jpg
d9rs.jpg
d10.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.