kolie1

Sep 30, 2020
Tampa, Florida
Hello. we are redoing our patio. I want kool deck but my husband is leaning toward stamped concrete. We are struggling to even find someone who does kool deck. my concern is the stamped concrete still seems hot. the sales people had a sample and it was hot to the touch and not a dark color. i also worry about upkeep. is there upkeep on kool deck? how do i find someone that will come to the house to talk to my husband about it? i contact the company and they gaev me the name of one person - who will infrequently return a text. thank you

Welcome to the forum!
The Kool Deck product does lower the temperature of the deck it is applied to. But it does not last forever and must be repaired or completely removed and replaced every so many years. Hard to say how long it would last in your area.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

We looked at Kool Deck and, for the maintenance reason, we went to Sun Dek. Yeah, the latter is hotter, but I just tell folks to wear sandals during the super hot days. Not having to resurface my (really large) deck was enough to justify other options.

When I purchased my current home, the pool deck was Kool Deck that was in BAD need of maintenance. I didn't want to spend an absolute ton of money at the time, so I opted to DIY it using the Encore Cool! product. It's been down over a year and so far is fine- I'm keeping it hosed off well and I did re-seal it after a year, which isn't a big job since my deck isn't all that large.

No regrets, so far. Good luck!

I had my Kool deck done in 2013 and it looks today brand new as it was then with no maintenance. The secret to Kool deck longevity is to apply it when the under base 4-6 inches of concrete is still wet so fusion of the concrete occurs. It needs to dry as one piece with the substrate. If you add Kool deck on old concrete it will need maitenance,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.