Keeping the filter clean

Gregadaka

Jan 25, 2019
Florida
Pool math tells me I need to clean the filter. It was replaced 3 months ago and the pool people who did the job said it needs replacing every 6 months. Does it really need to be cleaned and if so, how do I clean it?

I guess we’ll have to start by asking what type of filter do you have? When it was replaced did you get a start up pressure reading and what is the pressure now?

You should track you filter pressure and clean it when it gets to %25 above the clean pressure. Replacing it every 6 months doesn’t sound right.

Have a look in hear for filter types; Trouble Free Pool

And have a look in hear, under ‘when to clean’; Trouble Free Pool

Last edited:
Greg,

We recommend that you clean the filter based upon filter pressure and not time. When the filter is clean you measure the pressure, and then when the pressure goes up by 25% then you clean it again.. If you have a large filter and VS pump it may never go up by 25%, if this is true, then I would suggest you clean it after 6 months.. Once you get the filter apart, you can then decide if cleaning every 6 months makes sense.

If you are not sure of what type of filter you have, just post a couple of pics of your equipment pad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Gregadaka
Greg, you and I have basically the same filter. There is no need to replace that filter evyer 6 months. I've had the same cartidge for over 2 years now. And while it's beginning to fall apart like my teenage boys' underwear, it's still filtering and rinses off just fine. I uses a fireman-type pressure nozzle and rinse it out about every 3 weeks or so. It will start to discolor a bit, but it's still good. Our factory gauges don't have the greatest ranges for viewing minimal changes. Example, my filter runs at about 6 psi on high speed. When it gets to about 10 psi, it's small needle move on the gauge, but I can see a visibile change in return jet output and I know it's time to rinse. How often you have to do that depends on the amount of debris and actitity in your water. Of course keeping it TFP clean & clear is #1 so you never have an algae issue to contend with. Always use a poolside Skimmer sock as well to catch the small stuff before it gets to the catridge. When my filter needs replacing, probably this year, I'll hop on Amazon and order a Pleatco replacement for a very good price. Easy stuff.

Pat, @Texas Splash

I don't have that filter but "assume" to remove the cartridge you just remove the knob at the top and then remove the top half of the filter case to see the cartridge..

Is that about right??? If not, please let the OP how to get the cartridge out for cleaning..

With the pump off of course...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Gregadaka
I don't have that filter but "assume" to remove the cartridge you just remove the knob at the top and then remove the top half of the filter case to see the cartridge..
Pretty-much. @Gregadaka, you turn that knob counter-clockwise until it releases. It doesn't actually come off or apart, but you'll feel it release from the retaining rod inside. Then you will be able to lift the top half of the filter off of the bottom half.

Greg, you and I have basically the same filter. There is no need to replace that filter evyer 6 months. I've had the same cartidge for over 2 years now. And while it's beginning to fall apart like my teenage boys' underwear, it's still filtering and rinses off just fine. I uses a fireman-type pressure nozzle and rinse it out about every 3 weeks or so. It will start to discolor a bit, but it's still good. Our factory gauges don't have the greatest ranges for viewing minimal changes. Example, my filter runs at about 6 psi on high speed. When it gets to about 10 psi, it's small needle move on the gauge, but I can see a visibile change in return jet output and I know it's time to rinse. How often you have to do that depends on the amount of debris and actitity in your water. Of course keeping it TFP clean & clear is #1 so you never have an algae issue to contend with. Always use a poolside Skimmer sock as well to catch the small stuff before it gets to the catridge. When my filter needs replacing, probably this year, I'll hop on Amazon and order a Pleatco replacement for a very good price. Easy stuff.

Fantastic piece of advice! I'll clean the filter this weekend and keep an eye on the pressure too.
Thanks so much!

Pat, @Texas Splash

Is that about right??? If not, please let the OP how to get the cartridge out for cleaning..

With the pump off of course...

Thanks,

Jim R.
You and Pat are both right Jim, it's easy to get to the filter. - with the pump off of course!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.