Keeping pool 'slammed' during New England winter?

germaine58

Jun 1, 2018
Southern NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a 15x25x4 above ground oval pool; used tablets in the past for chlorine, now using TFP method. Live in southern NH and wondered about the opening/closing timing. I don't want to wait until the leaves start to start closing, but have heard from people in the northeast that wait until November! I am also concerned that the chlorine will last until I open it in early May. The tablet method has a floater with chlorine tablets in it to slowly dissolve and keep things sanitary over the winter/early spring. Do I have to continue adding chlorine in the fall and again in the spring before I open it?

I believe some of this was discussed in your other thread.

Bringing the chlorine up at closing is just insurance. What happens everytime we all close? 2 weeks later it’s warm again. If you waited long enough and closed at SLAM level it will generally make it to the time when the water is just too cold for the algae to grow at all. Once the pool is covered the sun won’t be burning off the chlorine as much so that high level will last much longer, well into the winter when it’s safe to run out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.