edogg

Jul 19, 2022
Central Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We have a pretty new pool (startup August 2022) and have been using a pool service to maintain it. In the interest of shaving down our budget, I decided to do the weekly maintenance myself. I don’t want to spend a lot of money buying equipment as that defeats the purpose of improving our pool maintenance budget.

I have the cleaning pole, brush, net, and vacuum that the pool company gave us at startup. The pole sucked so I bought a new one from the local Pinch-a-Penny, which is a lot better. But I think the net and vacuum leave a lot to be desired. The mesh on the net seems to be too big so it doesn’t catch everything. And the vacuum is just one that goes into the skimmer and clips on to the pole. The whole setup is a pain.

Any recommendations on a good net that will catch all the little bits floating on the surface?

Any recommendation for a non-robot vacuum? We have a cleaner port across the pool from the skimmer and the hose that was part of the pool builder’s package is too large to fit into that port. But I assume using the cleaner port would be easier than the skimmer.

We have a screen enclosure so the pool doesn’t get too dirty. But it does sometimes gets a little layer of dust on the bottom or the occasional leaf from the couple of veggie plants we have in the enclosure. The pool is about 10k gallons and is something like 14x25’ with a spa (working off of memory so the dimensions might be off).

Welcome to TFP.
Weekly maintenance is more than just vacuuming. Are you prepared to do water testing, buying the right chemicals and maintaining the pool?
We can show you how to do it and it will be cheaper in the long run but you will need to purchase a proper test kit and then the chemicals - mainly chlorine and Muractic acid. See
Test Kits Compared
If you rely on the pool store to test the water and suggest chemicals, you will spend a lot more than required so don't fall into that trap

With regard to vacuuming if you have a cleaner port we need to know if it is connected to the suction side or the pressure side of the pump. Buying a cleaner is another upfront cost or just continue using the manual process you are doing.

Maybe post some pictures of your overall pool and your equipment pad so we can see what you got To work with.

Reactions: mknauss
I attached a couple of pictures. The cleaner pipe is on the same valves as the drains, which goes into the pump. So I assume that means it’s on the suction side.

Is there a manual vacuum that goes into that cleaner port? Is there something that’s less of a pain in the butt? I don’t think I need an automatic vacuum.

As far as chemicals go, I’ve been doing a ton of that on my own already. Ever since startup, the ph goes up and I have to add 1/4 gal of acid midweek after my pool guy did the same. The alkalinity is 70-80. Both the pool builder and our service guy said this is normal for the first year for new plaster pools with SWG. That said, I feel pretty good about chemicals as our main issue is just making sure the ph doesn’t creep up.

Attachments

• 1B52287A-263A-4CBA-AD69-9DFDE91E878B.jpeg
    1B52287A-263A-4CBA-AD69-9DFDE91E878B.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 20
  • CE40BDA1-0C10-4AA8-A965-4A75B5C474A2.jpeg
    CE40BDA1-0C10-4AA8-A965-4A75B5C474A2.jpeg
    601.1 KB · Views: 20
Is there a manual vacuum that goes into that cleaner port? Is there something that’s less of a pain in the butt? I don’t think I need an automatic vacuum.
You can find a hose that fits in the suction Pott for the cleaner. Then connect the manual vacuum to it. You say the hose the PB left you does not fit on the cleaner port. So measure that diameter of the fitting and also try to measure the diameter of the suction port to find the correct hose.
Once that is hooked up, you will need to turn the valve in front of the cleaner pipe 180 degrees so the cleaner port is open and the suction from main drain and skimmer is closed.

Do you do your own testing? Glad you have a SWCG so monitor the pH as you are doing.

As far as chemicals go, I’ve been doing a ton of that on my own already. Ever since startup, the ph goes up and I have to add 1/4 gal of acid midweek after my pool guy did the same. The alkalinity is 70-80. Both the pool builder and our service guy said this is normal for the first year for new plaster pools with SWG. That said, I feel pretty good about chemicals as our main issue is just making sure the ph doesn’t creep up.
Are you prepared to follow the TFP methodology? Your TA is fine. Keep it 60-80 to keep your pH from rising quickly.
Refer to TFP levels

How are you testing your water?
I have a Taylor 6 test kit that I use at least weekly. It’s not as extensive as the TFP kits but does what I need as far as I can tell. I do use strips in between because it’s a faster test. If something looks suspect, I bust out the Taylor kit.

Are you prepared to follow the TFP methodology? Your TA is fine. Keep it 60-80 to keep your pH from rising quickly.
Refer to TFP levels
Yeah these are the levels I shoot for. These days, it’s mainly watching chlorine and ph. I adjust my SWG and/or add acid accordingly.

You can find a hose that fits in the suction Pott for the cleaner. Then connect the manual vacuum to it. You say the hose the PB left you does not fit on the cleaner port. So measure that diameter of the fitting and also try to measure the diameter of the suction port to find the correct hose.
Once that is hooked up, you will need to turn the valve in front of the cleaner pipe 180 degrees so the cleaner port is open and the suction from main drain and skimmer is closed.

Do you do your own testing? Glad you have a SWCG so monitor the pH as you are doing.
Ok so all I need is a new hose or adapter to make it fit? Is there a better vacuum that I should get or is the one pictured as good as any other manual vacuum?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    683.7 KB · Views: 3
Yeah these are the levels I shoot for. These days, it’s mainly watching chlorine and ph. I adjust my SWG and/or add acid accordingly.
Without one of the recommended test kits, how do you know what your CYA level is, and what your FC is, particularly if your CYA is 60-80?

Getting a test kit is the #1 item that will reduce your long term time and expenses.

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so all I need is a new hose or adapter to make it fit? Is there a better vacuum that I should get or is the one pictured as good as any other manual vacuum?
For a manual vacuum that is good enough. You can look for a proper suction vacuum that may go on sale. Polaris and Pentair both make decent products or you can search this forum for suction cleaners and get a whole lot of ideas if so you choose to go down that path one day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.