Keep SLAM'ing or done?

thebosman

Gold Supporter
Apr 8, 2019
Louisiana
Been SLAM'ing since March 22. My water is beautiful blue and almost perfectly clear.
I can see the pattern of my liner on the bottom, but there is still a little haze to the water.
I have not performed the OCLT test yet as I am not sure how clear the water needs to be.
Looking for advice, please.

Sand filters can be the slowest to clear the pool. Have you done the DE process to filter out fines? Are you waiting until you see a 25% rise in filter pressure prior to back washing?

Crystal clear water is just that. You can call heads or tails on a quarter.

You can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight. See what it shows.

I have been backwashing with even a slight change in pressure.
The funny thing about sand filters, you are better off to let them get a bit dirty before you backwash. They filter better dirty.

Let the pressure rise by 25% over clean pressure prior to back washing the next time.

I'm curious as to what the experts say, but I would be a bit hesitant to stop the slam at 1.0 loss and the water still a bit hazy. I would be tempted to keep the slam up for another day or two while you add DE.

I have a DE filter, so I usually buy the big bags, but I've noticed Walmart carries a box of DE that is ~5lbs. You may look into that instead of the larger DE bag I see at pool stores/lowes/home depot.

Yeah, thats below the minimums regardless of your CYA. What is your CYA? Even at the lowest recommended leve (30 ppm) your target FC is 4-6, with a SLAM level of 12.

Either your chlorine has lost its strength, or something is eating it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.