Just remodeled and new spillover “dripping”

jjean

Sep 10, 2022
allen, tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Just finished our remodel and the spillover from the spa appears to drip from underneath - making stone constantly wet and I fear susceptible to erosion and scale buildup. Weekly pool guy pontes it out to me. Remodel owner coming today but telling me it looks normal from pictures. Any advice or insights? Thank you! Can’t get a video to upload for some reason… but hopefully this pic gives the idea! BA096094-9C95-42B3-949C-C9A7DE225EF0.jpeg

On the underside of the spillover ledge, there should be a 1/4" wide slot to prevent the water from seeping back.

You also should consider only running the spillover a couple times per day for 20 minutes or so to keep the spa water chlorinated. Otherwise you will get calcium build up quicker. Also will have pH control issues.

Reactions: jjean
Just finished our remodel and the spillover from the spa appears to drip from underneath - making stone constantly wet and I fear susceptible to erosion and scale buildup. Weekly pool guy pontes it out to me. Remodel owner coming today but telling me it looks normal from pictures. Any advice or insights? Thank you! Can’t get a video to upload for some reason… but hopefully this pic gives the idea! View attachment 458481
On the underside of the spillover ledge, there should be a 1/4" wide slot to prevent the water from seeping back.

You also should consider only running the spillover a couple times per day for 20 minutes or so to keep the spa water chlorinated. Otherwise you will get calcium build up quicker. Also will have pH control issues.
Thank you! But isn’t the only way to run the filter pump with the spillover? I just took pics of it - not sure what it may be missing to prevent dripping?

Attachments

• 207AD2C1-8FE4-4F07-8C4A-F80F71F0E8A2.jpeg
    207AD2C1-8FE4-4F07-8C4A-F80F71F0E8A2.jpeg
    623.6 KB · Views: 25
  • D00AC4CB-DF8A-4D81-8606-70F58BC22B18.jpeg
    D00AC4CB-DF8A-4D81-8606-70F58BC22B18.jpeg
    455.8 KB · Views: 23
In your picture of the underside of the ledge, there should be a slot cut into the ledge to keep the water from seeping back under the ledge.

What automation system do you have to control the spa?

In your picture of the underside of the ledge, there should be a slot cut into the ledge to keep the water from seeping back under the ledge.

What automation system do you have to control the spa?
Ok thank you! I think they should be able to do that now?
We have not upgraded our system (ran out of $)! We have an old jandy aqualinks and I believe the filter pump only runs by using the spa spillover but i’m really not sure..

Spillover Mode​

If you have a pool and spa you can enable the Spillover function with dip switch #3 on the main panel. When switch #3 is on then AUX3 becomes the spillover control. If you have any relay connected to AUX3 you need to move it to an available Aux position.

With Spillover turned on by AUX3 the POOL/SPA return valve will move to the SPA position. Water will be suctioned by the pool and returned to the spa.

The cam on the return actuator may need to be reset to fully close the spa return when in POOL mode.

I suspect you will get push back from the builder. Doing what is needed with water in the pool and a curved ledge as you have, it will be very difficult to achieve.

Reactions: jjean
That’s my system

Spillover Mode​

If you have a pool and spa you can enable the Spillover function with dip switch #3 on the main panel. When switch #3 is on then AUX3 becomes the spillover control. If you have any relay connected to AUX3 you need to move it to an available Aux position.

With Spillover turned on by AUX3 the POOL/SPA return valve will move to the SPA position. Water will be suctioned by the pool and returned to the spa.

The cam on the return actuator may need to be reset to fully close the spa return when in POOL mode.

I suspect you will get push back from the builder. Doing what is needed with water in the pool and a curved ledge as you have, it will be very difficult to achieve.
thank you! Not sure I understood all that but remodel guy agreed to make a notch under the travertine ledge to help.
I asked him about bypassing the spa and continuing with filter pump and he said it’s best to keep the water flowing through the spa - which does make some sense or that water would stagnate. Thanks for all your help!

which does make some sense or that water would stagnate.

No, it does not make sense.

You use your Aqualink to schedule the spillover to run once or twice a day for 15-20 minutes. I run my spillover at 9AM to refresh the spa water for the day and at 2PM to refresh it for the evening. It takes more than a day for the water to "stagnate".

Use your Aqualink system as it was designed to work.

Reactions: jjean and mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.