just got H250ed2c heater and have a few questions

abfab

Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I can't find the following in the manual. Can you answer these for me?
- What is the difference between spa and pool modes? I am using for my pool. Is it a problem if it accidentally gets switched to spa?
- How do i winterize it? The manual just says to drain water. With my old heater i had to disconnect and drain the pressure switch.

For the manual just search for "Universal H Series Manuals" (I added the link to the terms)

The heater has two independent modes. One of Spa and one for Pool. You set the temps for both pool and spa separately and then when you put the heater in Pool mode it maintains the 'Pool' temp and when you put it in Spa mode it maintains the 'Spa' temp.

Depending on how it's plumbed , you could disconnect it from the plumbing, but if that's not feasible there's a drain plug on the header between the inlet and outlet piping ports.

I have the manual but it doesn't explain these. The Winterization section says "For above pool installations only" the drain value should be opened and left open. Nothing about in-ground. I found the FD manual which might be more applicable to this unit.

Also, I put it in standby when not in use. I noticed that when I change it to pool, it takes about 5 minutes for it to start heating. Is this normal behavior? I normally run the pool at 1875rpm but change to 2300rpm prior to turning heater on.

I have the manual but it doesn't explain these. The Winterization section says "For above pool installations only" the drain value should be opened and left open. Nothing about in-ground. I found the FD manual which might be more applicable to this unit.

Also, I put it in standby when not in use. I noticed that when I change it to pool, it takes about 5 minutes for it to start heating. Is this normal behavior? I normally run the pool at 1875rpm but change to 2300rpm prior to turning heater on.
I think you're reading the highlighted text incorrectly. It says for above pool not above ground pools. That means that the heater should be installed above the water level.

The "H" series has two different manuals. The Owner's manual and an Installation manual. You need both of them to get all the info.

Does it take five minutes before the heater fires?

Ah. The above pool specifications make sense now. I have 3 manuals and none say anything other than removal of drain plug. I guess that's all that is required other than blowing out lines?

Yes it takes 5 minutes to start heating after its been off for a while. I normally have the pump running at 1250 rpm. I turn it up to 2100+ prior to starting heater. After the 5min wait it starts heating. If after that I put the heater on standby then switch back to pool it will start up right away. I understand that it may need to build up sufficient pressure/flow after pump is on low but this seems too long. I had it running for a few hours yesterday. When I turned it on today I had to wait several minutes. I even tried increasing the speed to 3000 which made no difference.

It could be going through a thorough purge after being off for a while. Even at that 5 minutes seems like a long time. The manual indicates that the purge time is 30 seconds.

Does the panel show any error codes?
Is the gas valve turned all the way to on?

I've been testing it each day and it looks like (so far at least) the issue has gone away. It is now taking 13-30 secs. Is it normal for it to purge after being on standby for 24 hours or so? Any long term issues that can arise?
There was no error code and I have the gas line fully open.

The purge time is for the inducer motor which pulls the hot gas through the heat exchanger. This can be effected by a partial blockage of the tube between the pressure switch and the inducer housing (spider web or dirt). If it happens again try disconnecting the tubing at the pressure switch and blowing it out towards the inducer housing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.