Just getting started

So if I get the FC 28 and CC .5 today and tomorrow morning is FC 27 and CC .5 I am done and can let the FC come down to FC 5-10? I have used 43 gallons of chlorine so far, is this normal?

Okay Kelly lets do this...........OCLT I am going to break it down to step by step that MUST be followed to the letter please.

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test=OCLT

-turn off any SWG and remove any chlorine tablets or pucks there might be in the pool.

-leave the pump running until the morning

-Wait until it is FULL dark at your house. Test and add enough chlorine to get your FC up to SLAM level.

-30 mins after adding the above chlorine test the FC and CC and write these numbers down.

-morning before the sun is on the pool (before the sun is up if possible but that would not be possible for me so I understand LOL) do another FC and CC test and write those numbers down.

-do the math........how much FC did you lose overnight? How many cc did you start and end up with?

What we want is a FC loss of LESS than 1ppm and a CC of .5 or .0 ppm

Let us know what you find.

Kim:cat:

Thanks, I will do that. I tested an hour ago and FC was 29 CC was 1. I just tested and it dropped to FC 22.5 and CC is holding at a 1, so I added 137galons.
Thanks again for all the help.:)

Kelly I am too lazy to go back over your thread so forgive me if you have already done this..........ladder/steps up and out? If not you need to do so and take them apart. Some times the stuff (water, sand, weights, etc) helping weigh them down will get covered in algae and be the "home" base for it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tested last night. 9:00 p.m. FC 24.5 CC 1
9:30 p.m. FC 28 CC .5
10:00 p.m. FC 27.5 CC .5
This morning. 5:00 a.m. FC 26 CC 0
I checked again just to be sure and got FC 25.5 CC 0
so since I lost FC of 1.5 or 2 does that mean I'm not there, I have used a total of 47 gallons of 10% bleach.

You are not there yet but O so close, that 0 CC is awesome :) :whoot:

your FC will still go down but slower because you're killing whatever was in your pool.. 47 gallons, you had some stuff in there

Your getting it, great job :)

- - - Updated - - -

keep doing exactly what you have as much as possible

Casey is right! You are doing it! Just think..........you could not even get it up to SLAM level for a while so that slowed you down some. There is no "normal" usage of chlorine with a SLAM. Each one is different.

Look at your CC! That is huge you got that number down. That shows all of your hard work. Now talk to me about your ladder.

Follow what Kim is saying on the ladder or steps. I pulled mine and found all sorts of nasty stuff inside. I made a brush and cleaned mine out. Now that you have it on the ropes, do a good sweep and backwash. I haven't seen you mention sweeping or brushing yet.

I have steps in the pool, but just had them out a week ago to make sure they were clean and they were. I've been brushing 3 to 4 times a day but there is nothing to brush. So should I pull the steps and sweep and backwash. And is it save to get in to sweep.

I just took steps out, sweep and backwashed. There was very little dirt when I sweep. I had to add water, should I retest CYA?
My husband thinks I should change the sand (we change ever other year, and this year was the year not to change) what do you think change sand or not.
Also I am about out of R-0871, will it set my back just testing twice today, because I don't know if I can get any where I live and I might have to order?

You don't need to retest unless you've had a significant water exchange, like 20% or more.

You don't ever have to change the sand, just deep clean it every year. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

R-0871, You will have to order it, it's not (usually) available in local stores. Until then use a 5ml water sample, and each drop is 1. If you run out just keep adding bleach, about the same amount you have been.

Going on day 4, I tested OCLT
Last Night 9:15p.m. FC 22 CC 1
9:45p.m. FC 28 CC .5
This Morning 5:00a.m. FC 19 CC 0
Any other ideas why I can't hold FC
Could I have read my CYA wrong, I thought it says 70, if it is a 80, could I try FC 31

Good morning, my internet has been out so I'm on my phone.. There is still something in your water the chlorine is killing.. Losing 10fc overnight is a very big change.. Can you post a picture of your pool...

I am using my phone so please excuse any spelling errors and short response. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.