Just getting started, here's my plan, am I doing the right thing?

Pool has made remarkable progress for 24 hrs! I've been checking and readjusting to SLAM level FC (28ppm) every 2-3 hours. Nice and blue now and just a bit cloudy. I can easily make out the drain and imperfections on the bottom of the 6ft deep end.

We dropped from 28ppm to 23ppm overnight. I just tested again a few hours later and had dropped from 28 to 26. Sun is out now, so I'll take future results today with a grain of salt.
I also tested combined chlorine this morning and got 0. Is this expected?

The pool is now crystal clear! But, I still seem to have dropped FC 3ppm (28->25) overnight, so I guess we are not done with SLAM.
I have not bothered cleaning the filter yet. The filter pressure has stayed pretty constant at 10-11 PSI since starting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is very little algae still left on walls, its just hard to scrub in the very corners from outside the pool (will need a smaller brush and get in).
Is it ok to leave these very minor areas till after, when we plan to get in the pool anyway?

(No prior experience with pools).

I had heard that up to SLAM levels was safe, but because we are maintaining constant SLAM level FC, I was concerned whether a minor FC measurement error (for example, actual is 31ppm instead of 28ppm) would still be safe to swim in.

Test FC before you get in. It is not hard and fast, but we know the active chlorine level at SLAM level for your CYA is less than with 1 ppm FC with 0 CYA.
Rinse off after you get out.

Welp...We brushed everything off. Pool is crystal clear including all walls.

I decided I should clean the filter, and at the same time, replace the drain plug which has had a slow leak, so that we could pass overnight test.
I got a 6 point hex wrench specifically for the pre-2005 pentair filter drain plug. Well, the leak is faster now, but my wife and I could not get the filter drain unstuck no matter how hard we tried. The wrench is just slowly rounding off/popping off the hex pattern.

Guess we'll have to get some professional help and start over (since the leak is enough now that I don't really want to run the pump all the time).

Keep your FC levels up and brush to mix it in.

Can you fill out your signature? If we knew what type of filter you have, maybe a member would have an idea to help you out.

Welp, fortunately a pool repair service had someone available that was 10 min away from me.

They came out, were also unable to open the drain valve. The valve had cracked in the center, and that's where the leak was coming from (I bet someone over tightened it long ago). This is also why the leak got faster after we tried getting the drain plug out, it widened the crack.
They opened up the filter and drilled it out from the inside (I cleaned off my absolutely gross filter cartridges while they were working on that part). I was amazed at how much green those filters were holding.

Pump is back running, with much cleaner filters, and no leaks (actually there's one on the union on the pump outlet, but it only leaks for ~15s when the pump starts up, then goes away).

Last edited:
Reactions: mknauss
That is a beautiful transition pic. :goodjob:
I have never pulled the plug on my Pentair canister. I use a shop vac from the inside to clean the bottom. I've read many stories like your experience with that filter plug.

We passed the OCLT last night, and after the drain plug replacement, it is now bone dry under our filter (used to always be damp/wet).

What FC would you let it drop to (I know 8-10 is recommended for our 70CYA) before feeling safe to let, for example, our little baby splash around (with many safety precautions).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.