Just fired the pool guy

Fascinating read. When I discovered TFP, got my TF-100, and tested my pool the FC was at 55. That's measured with the TF-100. The other chlorine test was dark brown!

Very similar situation. Pool guy was completely dismissive. They were paying for the chemicals. I guess it was cheaper to dump chlorine and get to the next job than to do it right. They got fired immediately. Typical South Florida contractors. All winter the chlorine needs had been relatively low and they just kept dumping in the same summer level of chlorine each week. The water certainly was clear and blue!

It took 3 weeks for the levels to drift down to normal. By that time I had learned pool care and replaced the SWCG. Never looked back.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: markayash
Fascinating read. When I discovered TFP, got my TF-100, and tested my pool the FC was at 55. That's measured with the TF-100. The other chlorine test was dark brown!

Very similar situation. Pool guy was completely dismissive. They were paying for the chemicals. I guess it was cheaper to dump chlorine and get to the next job than to do it right. They got fired immediately. Typical South Florida contractors. All winter the chlorine needs had been relatively low and they just kept dumping in the same summer level of chlorine each week. The water certainly was clear and blue!

It took 3 weeks for the levels to drift down to normal. By that time I had learned pool care and replaced the SWCG. Never looked back.
maybe its the same company :) the moto is " none of our pools ever go green"

Reviving this old thread to congratulate myself on the bonehead move of the week...
It's been 4-months since my last post and everything has been going swimmingly (pun-intended ;)).

I neglected my pool for a few days and was finally able to check the levels this morning. I knew the pool would need chlorine and pulled out the jug. The reading was low and I poured 24oz from the jug and poured it in. I had some more free time this afternoon so I figured I would go through the TF-100 and test everything. FCF was still really low and so was Ph, like 6.8 (typically I battle high Ph and have to lower it every couple of weeks). It starts to rain, so I pour another 24oz, dump it in and run for cover.....

AND that's when it hit me.. Why does this jug have a blue cap??? Oh no... Muriatic Acid... I just poured 48oz of Muriatic Acid in the pool and not a drop of Chlorine!!!... TA got all the way down to 20...

Well, first stop is this site to see how to get me out of yet another bind.... I think you know what comes next.
IMG_5867.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: mariane
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.