Just Bought A House With No permit Pool-HELP!

Nov 3, 2018
Maine
Hi,

New guy here. I just bought a house. Come to find out the pool installed 20+ years ago never had a permit. I spoke with code enforcement and they need the plot plan, which I have and the pool seems to meet the setbacks and a make and model on the pool? How the heck do I find that. Previous owner has no info and is no help!

You are asking about make and model of the pool.

If it is a fiberglass pool it may be pre-made and have a make and model.

If it is a steel walled pool with a vinyl liner here may be a make and model for the walls and liner.

If it is a concrete/gunite and plaster surface pool then it is custom built and you will not find a make and model.

There are many types of pool construction out there and we need to know the type you have to help you. Pics are a start.

Look on the equipment and on things like the skimmer covers or diving board. You many find the name of a major pool builder like Anthony or Sylvan.

K,

What are you worried about? If the pool has been in place for over 20 years, I can't see anyone making a fuss over it now???

Why did you call code enforcement, and what are you attempting to do?

The more you tell us the better answers you will receive..

Thanks,

Jim R.

It will take closer examination to try and get clues to the manufacturer/make/model. Some folks here can identify styles of skimmer design and plumbing used. It will take close up pics.

Did you close on the house? If not, I would insist the seller clear up the pool permit issue.

Are you sure the pool is not "grandfathered" due to its age?

Maybe call the owner of the house at the time the pool was built.

Maybe contact the closest pool builders to the house and ask them if they built the pool or know who did.

It might be a self install from a kit.

Long story so I will try to provide as much detail as possible. The house was built in 76, it has changed hands a few times. It’s believed the second owners installed the pool but never had a permit. The current owners, a young couple moved in last year and are now selling to move to Texas. We have asked them to obtain the proper permits as it was discovered by my agent that they didn’t have the permit. The sellers need a quick close and they can’t obtain the permit in time. We have been told by the town we need the permit in order to obtain any permits going forward. We want a permit to install a shed on the property but can’t get one until we clear the pool. I don’t see anyone really making a fuss over it but want to get everything squeaky clean.

I will see if I can get pictures of the skimmer and some close ups next week.

The town requested we have spec on the pool and a estimate of price at install.

The town requested we have spec on the pool and a estimate of price at install.

All they need that for is to know how much to raise your assessment and real estate taxes. You need to give the bureaucrats something to work with and have on file.

I would respond with something like:

XX x YY inground pool installed between 199X-199Y. Fiberglass or steel wall/vinyl liner construction (get a local pool guy to come out and give you some specs of the pool if you can't figure it out). Approximate cost $XX,XXX - $YY,YYY. Manufacturer and installer unknown.

You may want to get some advice from a local lawyer who deals in real estate and knows how the town works. He can advise you on what will satisfy them.

I would not let the seller off the hook. If they want a quick close then insist some money be put in escrow to resolve the problem. If it costs some lawyer fees they pay for it out of the escrow. Once you get the permit buyer gets any remaining money returned.

The town building inspector may want to visit the pool and see that the electrical and plumbing meets code. If he requires changes then the escrow money pays for it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This can cost u some money going forward. As said by previous poster u have to have money in escrow to cover the expense of possible work like the electrical or plumbing being opened up to see what's there w bonding etc. I would insist on 15k in escrow and they get back what u don't spend in permit fees and experts to look over the pool. Ur agent should know this and have advised u and u NEVER buy property without doing your due diligence and that includes a permit search.

This can cost u some money going forward. As said by previous poster u have to have money in escrow to cover the expense of possible work like the electrical or plumbing being opened up to see what's there w bonding etc. I would insist on 15k in escrow and they get back what u don't spend in permit fees and experts to look over the pool. Ur agent should know this and have advised u and u NEVER buy property without doing your due diligence and that includes a permit search.

We had the pool inspected and is up too standard. It’s really just about getting the permit at this point.

Most permits require inspections. Most inspections for pools are at various points throughout construction especially plumbing and trenching for water and gas pipes. They check for depth of trench, proper gas line, etc. Electrical inspections include proper bonding, which is usually a visual inspection of the bonding wire. When a pool is done is not the time to get all these. I would for sure get some sort of assurity bond in case the inspector wants something dug up to properly inspect it before closing out the permit. It isn't all about re-assessing the house value.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.