mrjetson707

Sep 7, 2021
Martinez, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm getting ready to replaster and redo coping and tile. my contractor said I have 3 options with the permit. they can handle it and charge $500 on top of the permit price. I can handle it myself. or I can sign a waiver that I don't want a permit. I know some with some construction a permit is necessary, and others it's not a big deal. I personally feel a lot of building permits are just a sleazy way for the city to take our money but with a pool remodel, I'm not sure if I should get the permit or not. I live in CA, if that matters. Specifically Contra Costa County.

edit: I understand that I would definitely need a permit for a new pool, but just a replaster + tile and coping seems unnecessary. I'm not adding a spa or water feature. pool is remaining the same

Contact your local building department to see if a replaster/new tile/new coping requires a permit.

Pull the permit, if time is money then pay the contractor to do it.
Its hard to understand but the city really is on your side as a homeowner.
At the very least have written on your contract “as per city requirements” and do not pay final due until city signs off.

I live in the same county. We got a permit to replaster and replace most of the pool pad equipment a few years ago. Since you live in the county seat, it should be a quick trip to pick up the permit yourself, @mrjetson707. The reason we got the permit was so we'd have that documentation when the house eventually changes hands.

I think the reasoning for the permit was to see that we replaced our old drain covers with anti-entrapment covers.

The most painful part was the requirement to put door alarms on every back door which led to the pool. My sprawling ranch house required 7, count 'em, seven door alarms. This is in addition to the automatic safety cover as @santacruzpool said; what a pain. The inspector actually made me demonstrate one chosen at random but did not want to hear all 7. I really wanted to trip all 7 for him. I was surprised he didn't look at our smoke/CO detectors, as this was mentioned in advance.

Reactions: santacruzpool
I live in the same county. We got a permit to replaster and replace most of the pool pad equipment a few years ago. Since you live in the county seat, it should be a quick trip to pick up the permit yourself, @mrjetson707. The reason we got the permit was so we'd have that documentation when the house eventually changes hands.

I think the reasoning for the permit was to see that we replaced our old drain covers with anti-entrapment covers.

The most painful part was the requirement to put door alarms on every back door which led to the pool. My sprawling ranch house required 7, count 'em, seven door alarms. This is in addition to the automatic safety cover as @santacruzpool said; what a pain. The inspector actually made me demonstrate one chosen at random but did not want to hear all 7. I really wanted to trip all 7 for him. I was surprised he didn't look at our smoke/CO detectors, as this was mentioned in advance.
my pool is gated from my backyard. do I still need alarms?

For a replaster, tile and coping, I wouldn't go through the inspection/permitting process. The only thing you need to keep an eye on is that they don't cut through any bonding wires when they redo the coping.
Of course, this is just my opinion and not that of TFP.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In California, the safety requirements are statewide. You must have 2 of 7 safety devices. See:

it's hard to interpret. I have a gate around my pool. self closing with a latch, but it's below 54". idk if that fulfills 2 of 7. seems sufficient to me. alarms and stuff seem stupid and excessive and honestly, not useful

I have a gate around my pool. self closing with a latch, but it's below 54".
The latch you refer to needs to be on any house doors that lead to the pool area. Your house door needs to be self closing, self latching and the release must be above 54 inches.

It's so you have 2 distinct barriers, in this case, the house and the pool gate. Both self latching/closing and the release over the accepted height that a small child could pop it.

I am going to need a door alarm and water alarm myself soon, with a 13 year old, a 17 year old, and zero visitors who might drown. Many safety codes have aspects that aren't perfectly relevant to everyone. But as they say, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

my pool is gated from my backyard. do I still need alarms?
My pool is also gated with lock on both sides, and my back yard is surrounded by a 6' block wall. I still needed alarms on all potential entry points to the pool. This included 2 sliding doors and four windows along the back of the home that faced the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.