Palm springs
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I have just started building a new 25,000 gal pool after demoing a smaller one.
my question is what would be ideal sizing for return and suction lines

my builder wants 2” for both, but a pool consultant recommended 2 1/2” for both suction and return

any ideas, recommendations?

he also is recommending:
pentair Intelliflo3 for pool
Pentair Whisperflo for Spa
Pentair Whisperflo for 2 bubblers
JS100 sand filter. On a seperate thread
Jandy JXi400NK heater
Jandy Truclear SWG
Jandy watercolors 1.5” led lights
jandy colorvision bubbler
MP auto fill
Jandy Aqualink RSPS8
Jandy 8642q robotic cleaner

I would greatly appreciated any comments on the equip as well !!
my last pool was 15 years ago, so everything seems to have changed

I’ve always had DE filters on my pools, but now with a new build they are telling me that DE is old school and dangerous, nd what they recommend is a High Rate Sand Filter, which they say is completely different. The model they recommend JS100 Jandy

i can get no information on High Rate sand pools, and I always thought sand filters were just an economical choice, not the best filter, maybe in different areas that use different types? The new pool will be in the desert

Welcome to the forum.
I would recommend a large cartridge filter. Especially for a pool in the desert and one that will use a SWCG. 400SF or larger.

I see you are using Jandy equipment. Be aware that company is not DIY friendly. All repairs, replacement parts, etc must be purchased through and installed by an authorized dealer.

Do not get the Truclear SWCG. Use the Aquapure if using Jandy. The Truclear has many infantile failures.

I’ve always had DE filters on my pools, but now with a new build they are telling me that DE is old school and dangerous, nd what they recommend is a High Rate Sand Filter, which they say is completely different. The model they recommend JS100 Jandy

i can get no information on High Rate sand pools, and I always thought sand filters were just an economical choice, not the best filter, maybe in different areas that use different types? The new pool will be in the desert
I read so many complaints about DE and seeing the mess it makes when cleaning at my fathers house seems to confirm the issues. Some people like them though. For the desert I’d second the cartridge filter.

The sand filters take a bit more water to clean, which is fine in wet areas where I’m having to drain off extra water all the time anyway.

Thank you for the replies, several months ago I purchased all pentair led lights, but was told by a pool company here that they had a lot of problems with the small leds so they switched to Jandy. So I sold all the pentair slights and purchased jandy 1.5” lights. They also advised me that the jandy aqualink works with pentair equipment, but Pentair intellicenter does not work with most Jandy equipment, so that is why I switched to Jandy

as far as the SWG , I will look at the Aquapure. But many have told me 5o stay away

You are right about the Pentair Globrites. You are better off using the old style light niche and using LED bulbs.

An Intellicenter from Pentair is far superior to the Jandy automation. Do some research.

Filters are dumb equipment. Any brand. Minimum 400SF.

Reactions: Bperry
i Am reading all I can regarding filters, and can find little to no info on High Rate sand filters? For some reason this Pool consultant swears that the “new” high rate sand filters like the Jandy JS-100 work as good as or better than a cartridge filter in the desert climates. What is the difference between a reg. Sand filter and a high rate sand filter?
also jandy seems to carry much more expensive sand filters : Jandy SFSM commercial sand filters vs JS-100

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1678082624915.jpeg
Can anyone tell me if this plumbing layout would be correct for a pool & Spa combo
this photo taken at a pool supply showroom
since I am using a new pool contractor working with our GC, I want to make sure we don’t screwup the plumbing as our last pool builder did
thanks for the help!

View attachment 475845
Can anyone tell me if this plumbing layout would be correct for a pool & Spa combo
this photo taken at a pool supply showroom
since I am using a new pool contractor working with our GC, I want to make sure we don’t screwup the plumbing as our last pool builder did
thanks for the help!
Where’s the pump?

i Am reading all I can regarding filters, and can find little to no info on High Rate sand filters? For some reason this Pool consultant swears that the “new” high rate sand filters like the Jandy JS-100 work as good as or better than a cartridge filter in the desert climates. What is the difference between a reg. Sand filter and a high rate sand filter?
also jandy seems to carry much more expensive sand filters : Jandy SFSM commercial sand filters vs JS-100
Never heard of anything other than a regular sand filter. The advantage of a cartridge filter is that you don’t use 200+ gallons of water cleaning them. If they filter better as well then that’s a bonus.

My sand filter does very well at filtering, but it does lose a lot of water when backwashing.

If I go with a cartridge filter, which would you recommend, to get the cleanest water?
The brand of filter has little to do with clean water. Your knowledge of the system and how willing you are to manage it properly will be the sole determinant of your water quality.

The difference between a high rate sand filter and a regular one is that it has contains the words "high rate"

Pump & Filter?

What automation will be used for pool/spa switching?

Why do you have two SWGs - IntelliChlor and TruClear?

Why the valves and bypasses around the Truclear?

Read manufacturers installation manuals and the will tell you requirements like placing SWG cell 3 feet after heater and having a straight pipe run before flow switch.

We recommend having a heater bypass and the MasterTemp can support an automatic heater bypass - Heater Bypass - Further Reading

What automation will you be getting?

IntelliChlor is a higher quality system then TruClear.

The picture of the equipment was just for reference, it’s not mine, I’m just starting rebar now. This layout was at the pool equipment dealer, this is how he recommended it, I want to make sure this time (third) I get the plumbing right

i will be buying an intelliflo3 for the pool, I have a Whisperflo for the spa and they recommend a Whisperflo for the two bubblers. I bought the Jandy bubblers for the Baja shelf since all the other lights in the pool and spa are Jandy Nichless watercolor 1.5” lites and I do
idnt want problems with 2 different types of lights

I was told that the Intellicenter will have problems handling the lights (other than just on/off) and may also have problems with the Jandy heater, so I am leaning towards Jandy, also I know the Jandy interfaces with Savant home automation

there is a big problem with large tree rats here I have been told, and they seem to like to chew on the plastic of pentair heaters, so Jandy heater is more immune as it has a metal case/cover

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.