Just a little pool

obxWaMi

Jun 4, 2020
Outer Banks, NC
Hi, We bought a small pool 2 years ago and never took it out of the box. Just a little one- 15ft x 33” and I have absolutely no idea where to start setting it up, except to know that there’s more to it than assembling and filling it.
I’ve decided that I will not let another summer pass without using it and now that my granddaughter’s have a larger one it their own yard I won’t even have to share!
I don’t have my summer job thanks to the virus so if I’m going to be spending a lot of time Staying Home and Staying Safe I might as well enjoy it.

Even a little pool can benefit from TFP methods!

First you need to pick your spot and level it. If you're lucky, you have a nice level yard and you can just throw out a tarp and a Gorilla or Rhino Pad and set up your pool. If you're like all the rest of us though you'll have to dig into your yard some to level your pool. Always dig down the high side to match the low side, never build up to match the high side.

Once that's done, set your pavers so they're level with each other. You'll put the pool uprights on those. Unless you have an EasySet pool, then you don't need pavers.

Now you can set up your pool. Make sure there's an electrical outlet nearby so you can plug in the pump.

Fill your pool. Test it with a recommended test kit from Test Kits Compared. Add the chemicals suggested by PoolMath, jump in and have a good time! All you need to do after that is test daily for free chlorine FC and combined chloramines CC, with testing your pH on a daily basis then add liquid chlorine as required. Eventually you'll learn your pool and know what it needs, and be able to test less.

It's a lot of hard work at the start, but oh, so worth it at the end!

Even a little pool can benefit from TFP methods!

First you need to pick your spot and level it. If you're lucky, you have a nice level yard and you can just throw out a tarp and a Gorilla or Rhino Pad and set up your pool. If you're like all the rest of us though you'll have to dig into your yard some to level your pool. Always dig down the high side to match the low side, never build up to match the high side.

Once that's done, set your pavers so they're level with each other. You'll put the pool uprights on those. Unless you have an EasySet pool, then you don't need pavers.

Now you can set up your pool. Make sure there's an electrical outlet nearby so you can plug in the pump.

Fill your pool. Test it with a recommended test kit from Test Kits Compared. Add the chemicals suggested by PoolMath, jump in and have a good time! All you need to do after that is test daily for free chlorine FC and combined chloramines CC, with testing your pH on a daily basis then add liquid chlorine as required. Eventually you'll learn your pool and know what it needs, and be able to test less.

It's a lot of hard work at the start, but oh, so worth it at the end!

Thank you. Unfortunately our yard is not so level that we can set it up without digging. We’ve reserved a sod cutter for tomorrow morning and we will pick up sand and pavers then as well. Once the top layer of the ground is removed can I set a paver in the center and level each leg to that one? I have a 2x4x8 and a mason’s level.

I don't think so. It's usually done by setting your pavers level to each other around the circumference of the pool, then level the inside to the pavers. You might want to get a landscaper to come level the area for you -- my site was 4" off level and we like to killed ourselves leveling it! It usually costs a couple-three hundred dollars, but IMHO money well spent!