Junction Box Missing

AtariMe

Jan 28, 2021
California
Hi All,

I bought a house a couple of years ago. It has an existing pool. The lights in and around don't work. The only information that came with the pool regarding the lights was that they didn't work. So, two years on and fiddling with this and that, the lights still don't work.

The pool was built in the 1970s (possibly early 80s). It's somewhat unclear if it was built at the same time as the house. The original owner was a contractor and it seems as though he did some parts of the house in stages.

The pool itself has one light at the far end. The attached spa has one light as well. Theoretically, there should be two pull boxes as well. We know where one pull box is, and it only contains wiring for the spa. The pipe that runs between the spa and the pull box is copper.

The location of the other pull box is a mystery. The lights are about 30 feet apart. Two electricians have looked at the setup, as well as a plumber and a handiman, and they all seem to agree that there should be a second pull box. And that logically it should be somewhere near the other light, but raised above the ground slightly.

Well, its no where to be found currently. At the edge of the pool deck is a wall and then on the other side of the wall everything slopes down.

The only thing I know to do at this point to look for the pull box is to start digging in the yard and hope I find a copper pipe or a pullbox underground somehow.

If I can't find the copper pipe, to fix the issue I think I will have to drain the pool, lift up a bunch of pavers, and concrete to run a new pipe and wiring from the pool to wherever I want the new pull box to be.

So...before I start down this road, do you have any thoughts on where the pull box should be or where I should look for the copper pipe?

Thx

Can you live without the light? Some things aren't worth the effort. 2nd suggestion is get a metal detector. Chances are someone cut it off below the ground for some reason.

I spent months searching for a missing junction box. What I found, hidden in the deck under some furniture, is shown in photos this post. It's a very wrong thing but maybe you have one like it.

There are underground wire tracers. You can pull the light out and connect the tone generator to the wires. A good one is pricey and you may be able to find a contractor with the equipment to find your wire.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.