Jumped into the deep end...

Helter

Gold Supporter
Jul 14, 2022
SE PA, USA
Bought a house last year with what looked like a write off of a pool. I was planning on just filling it in until a buddy who used to manage pools told me that it actually looked salvageable.
Since then we drained and mucked out a pool that the neighbors say had been a swamp for almost 10 years. Power washed and acid washed, repaired bad concrete, and finally painted it. Then a tree fell on the pump equipment.
Couldn't get any pool techs out, so I bought some equipment from inyo and put in a new VSP, DE filter, and SWG.
So far the family loves it, and I'm having fun with my new hobby of learning how pools run.

Ask and you will receive! I'm terrible about taking progress pics, but here's a few that I managed to snag over the past year of this project.

Attachments

• How_it_started.jpg
    How_it_started.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 20
  • How_it_started3.jpg
    How_it_started3.jpg
    905.1 KB · Views: 19
  • draining.jpg
    draining.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • friend.jpg
    friend.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 19
  • drained.jpg
    drained.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 18
  • ugh.jpg
    ugh.jpg
    757.4 KB · Views: 19
  • cleansupnice.jpg
    cleansupnice.jpg
    604.6 KB · Views: 19
  • newequip.jpg
    newequip.jpg
    944.3 KB · Views: 19
  • better.jpg
    better.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 19
  • howitsgoing.jpg
    howitsgoing.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20
Wow nice transformation!
Thanks! There's still a lot of work to do of course. The decking on the left side has settled significantly, and needs to either be jacked up and patched, or replaced, right now it's a hazard (hence the matts over the worst spots). The coping has already drawn a significant amount of blood. it's concrete, but with the aggregate exposed quite a bit so it's beyond rough. Still researching options for those things! I've never had a pool before, or even wanted one, so this is all pretty new for me.

Even had critters in the eco system! Nice job!!! Where did you take the turtle?

SO well done!! I can see the coping trouble when I pulled in to see what you were saying. That is going to be a big fix. Do you have a "alpha foundation" or such in your area? I THINK they do free consults.

Also keep saving your pennies for a new plaster job. Over time the paint will start clouding the water up then may start flaking off.

Do you have a good test kit yet? If not look here: Test Kits Compared This will save you SO much money in caring for the pool! But Kim, the pool store will test for free. Yeah they will BUT is it really free when you walk out with your arms full and your wallet empty??

Look in my signature for what recommended you can buy from Walmart or Target for your pool! How neat is that??

Kim:kim:

The snapper was named "bitey" and rehomed to a pond down the street. I assume that the complaints from the local fishermen that they are no longer catching as many fish are unrelated.

I'm not familiar with Alpha Foundation, but reached out to Sylvan about a consult for renovating the deck and coping. It's been incredibly hard to get anyone out to do pool work around here though, so I may look into some sort of surface treatment for the coping.

The plaster is definitely rough, but I'll likely stick to patching and painting for a little while. The rest of the house was in about the same condition as the pool, so the projects need to get in line and wait their turn.

And yeah, I got the Taylor 2006 kit with the 1766 salt test. still learning how to use the kit, but am definitely not going to be relying on the pool store. The info here and from reddit has been hugely helpful in clearing the pool up quickly, and helping me avoid some costly mistakes (like just buying everything the pool store tries to sell me).

Usually local pool stores are best to go to for that kind of work. They typically have lists of contractors. Sylvan is the last place I would go for sure they will be the highest price.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Usually local pool stores are best to go to for that kind of work. They typically have lists of contractors. Sylvan is the last place I would go for sure they will be the highest price.

Thanks for the tip! They installed the pool (I think) so I figured I'd try them out (and maybe they would have some notes about the installation as well).
So far I've had an incredibly hard time even getting call backs from local stores for any type of service or work. Been trying to get a quote for a safety cover for a while now... I'll keep at it though!

Thanks for the tip! They installed the pool (I think) so I figured I'd try them out (and maybe they would have some notes about the installation as well).
So far I've had an incredibly hard time even getting call backs from local stores for any type of service or work. Been trying to get a quote for a safety cover for a while now... I'll keep at it though!

Stop in at the local pool stores and ask if they have a contractor list. Problem is with the resurgence of pool popularity, they are all busy all the time. Safety looplock style mesh cover for your pool is going to run $2k-$3k.

Sounds like you have your head on straight with everything! Well done! At least you can enjoy that nice, clean, clear pool while working on the rest of the house!

I SO hear you on getting calls back for work needing to done on anything :roll: Just have to keep trying until someone calls back. One thing that worked for me was seeing a person doing the work I needed (grader for our dirt road). I stopped my car and chatted with them about it. They came out to look at our road and said they would be able to do in a few weeks. He has started to answer my texts now when I tell him I have lined up the delivery of the road base and such.