Jandy takes stand on internet sales

ps0303

TFP Expert
In The Industry
Jul 6, 2011
FL
I received a notice the other day that Jandy will no longer tolerate any internet sales of their pro series line of equipment.

"Today we make the major announcement that effective January 1, 2019, we will prohibit the sale of ALL Jandy Pro Series equipment online."

"We will NOT provide a Manufacturer's Warranty on Jandy Pro Series equipment purchased online."

I know other companies have looked at doing the same thing.

• Angry
Reactions: plnewb
Typical plumbing/HVAC scam. Now you have to pay triple to get anything fixed/installed. The manufacturers are in the pockets of the trade organizations - when will they learn that it is the end user that ultimately pays their way? Hopefully someone else will step in to fill the void

The reason that a number of companies have shorter warranties, or no warranties at all, for internet sales is to protect their distributer networks. While I don't personally like it, it makes perfect sense... Just a guess on my part, but I suspect that 80% of pool equipment is purchased by pool builders and others related to the pool industries. So manufactures try to support those that purchase the most.

I also suspect that the return rate, failure rate, or complaint rate (whatever you want to call it) from internet sales is 5 x that of their distributors... While many of our members have skills that allow them to install almost anything, we have plenty of others that have difficulty just adding water to their pools.. :p

So, I don't see this as a scam or greed or anything nefarious.. it is just a sensible path for manufacturing companies that sell most products through their distributors.

Thanks,

Jim R.

When robots begin installing equipment, the manufacturers will have a policy that their equipment can only be installed by human beings.

"Equipment must be installed by human beings. Equipment installed by robots is NOT covered by warranty*".

*Excludes AI robots that have been granted human equivalent status.

When robots begin installing equipment, the manufacturers will have a policy that their equipment can only be installed by human beings.

"Equipment must be installed by human beings. Equipment installed by robots is NOT covered by warranty*".

*Excludes AI robots that have been granted human equivalent status.

James,

Yes, but by then, only robots will own pools... :p

Jim R.

Lots of jobs are about to be lost to technology.

Autonomous vehicles will replace truck drivers, Uber drivers, cab drivers etc.

Robots are replacing people in factories.

Office workers are being replaced by A.I assistants and software.

Local doctors and lawyers are being replaced by online teleconferencing doctors and lawyers and A.I software.

Every industry will be radically transformed by technology.

People will fight it as much as possible but they can only slow it down, not stop it.

Many of us have families and need to eat and have shelter as well.

I don't begrudge anyone a fair day's pay for a fair day's work, nor even a modest markup on equipment. But where is this leading? Pretty soon, you won't be able to buy any pool equipment over the internet and that leaves you at the mercy of unscrupulous contractors charging whatever the market will bear. This is where its gone in the HVAC industry.

"Takes a stand" makes it sound like an honorable move - quite the opposite.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Typical plumbing/HVAC scam. Now you have to pay triple to get anything fixed/installed. The manufacturers are in the pockets of the trade organizations - when will they learn that it is the end user that ultimately pays their way? Hopefully someone else will step in to fill the void

Not really..
There is quite a disconnect between manufacturers & trade organizations.

We struggled with this yearly on the audio video world. Our margins are so low for say tv’s we encourage customers to buy them on their own and then they can hire us to install cause when it blows up and they do it’s out of our hands.

Andctjem that customer is complaining cause they have to be to deal with a Best Buy employee who is clueless or a big box store that sells coffee makers and a million other things.

Thats why we try to to deal with American based companies that r through dealer networks only. We don’t mark up. Our customers pay for what they buy. We make our money on install. But we also tell them when they buy from us we have thier backs as much as we can. Bob has gone back into customers homes 10 years later for a projector out of warranty and know the customer has a repair bill coming but will send his installers time and time again to make sure it’s right and the customer doesn’t see a bill.

Every situation is diff but all in all we have our customers backs cause that gets us return business which pays our bills. Also we have better relationships with who we buy from so when we need parts or warrenty replcements we have product in our hand next day most of the time.

quick good example. couple years ago a company we deal with had the music streamer. crazy expensive music streamer but it tied into the headunit from them for feedback. well they OEM'ed it from a small company that was new on the scene. all kinda hard drive software problems. now you could have found this piece on the internet for cheaper. one of our customers who had a 16 zone setup all same company which is like 20 grand said and done of material alone. his kept blowing up. so when it did and it was out of warreny i was able to call the company and cause of the issues and because we dealt with them direct they sent us 3 diff units 3 diff times free like they were in warrenty. i asked if they were doing this for every unit regardless of where they were bought. they said they were taking care of their dealers.

so in this case this customer made out dealing with a installer vs scouting out the net for a cheaper price maybe.

It also looks like this only involves their Pro Line of equipment which really is no different than their other offerings. Pentair has something similar with their trade grade and Hayward might as well.

This is really nothing new with all of these companies that have several lines of the same product marketed to different people...

Hayward is doing the same thing, rebrand their best sellers as “pro line”. Let’s the pool stores make a bit more margin.

Catch uo up with the times, reduce inventory, use just in time practices, match online but up your install fee.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.