Jandy SWG Output - DFW heat

Bauer600

Sep 12, 2020
Fort Worth
Here in North Texas, salt water pool, we’ve had quite the heat stretch the last month over 100
Each day, and our pool constantly gets 11-12 hours of direct sun a day. I’m having to run the SWG at 100% lately just to even TRY to keep up, typically I would be running the pump 8 1/2 hours a day (18,000) gallons, I’ve recently bumped it up to 13. FC is barely visible, and noticed an algae spot or two last week. Supplement with liquid chlorine? Water temps are 92-94 in the heat of the day. I assume it’s just burning off so fast than the pump can make it. I do use a Taylor test kit.

CYA - 80
PH - 7.6
TA - 100
Calcium -400
Salt - 3200

At 8.5 hours and 100%, that is 2.5 ppm FC per day being added. That is on the low side of normal consumption this time of year.
At 13hours, that is 4.5 ppm FC per day. That is about what my pool uses right now.

So add liquid chlorine to get your FC to target level for your CYA.

Why not run the pump for longer. 16, 18 hours etc?

I’m asking out of curiosity not necessarily making a recommendation. I don’t have a swg, but l lose 4.5ppm easy here in Houston with no shade and a million degrees every day. I’m thinking SWG, so I’m curious as to the answer to this question.

Reactions: SoDel
At 8.5 hours and 100%, that is 2.5 ppm FC per day being added. That is on the low side of normal consumption this time of year.
At 13hours, that is 4.5 ppm FC per day. That is about what my pool uses right now.

Why not run the pump for longer. 16, 18 hours etc?

I’m asking out of curiosity not necessarily making a recommendation. I don’t have a swg, but l lose 4.5ppm easy here in Houston with no shade and a million degrees every day. I’m thinking SWG, so I’m curious as to the answer to this question.
Yeah, it’s trial by error right now, it’s been set at 8.5 hours in the spring with no problem, but obviously the summer heat is different and Wed to adjust. I’m just trying to gauge the sweet point of you will.

Sounds good, this is our second year with it and the summer months have been tricky trying to get the levels to stay sustained only using the Jandy Aquapure 14000

Sounds good, these summer months have been tricky trying to get sustained levels only using the SWG, I know every environment is different, we have the PLC 1400, just with these constant over 100 degree days sounds like I need to bump the run time up to 14 or 15 hours perhaps as well and see how it maintains, and use the LC to supplement here and there.

Running the pump much longer is generally cheaper and a lot less work than fighting algae. Just sayin’ :)

If you switch to 24/7 (on your lower speed) your SWG can produce FC all night, you can put your leaf net in storage, and have much less debris to vacuum. (y)

Running the pump much longer is generally cheaper and a lot less work than fighting algae. Just sayin’ :)

If you switch to 24/7 (on your lower speed) your SWG can produce FC all night, you can put your leaf net in storage, and have much less debris to vacuum. (y)
I ran it overnight at 100% and this morning at 10 am, we’re still at 0.5 FC. Hmmmm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I got the FC up to 7.5/8 using LC last night around 8:30 tested at 9:30 PM, let it run overnight even with the SWG at 100% just to see if it would produce overnight and stay steady. I had a chlorine loss down to 5.5/6 FC at 7 AM. Water has seemed “crystal clear” for the past couple days, but if I’m losing chlorine overnight even with the SWG set at 100 I would assume we have a problem here and I would need to SLAM regardless correct? Pool water is 87 this morning but has constantly been in the 92-94 degree range in the heat.

I was going to do the overnight test tonight, but if I’m losing FC overnight with the SWG at 100 regardless, should I just skip it and go straight to the SLAM?

Last edited:
Are you seeing any bubbles coming out of the returns indicating SWG is producing?

As @wireform said, time for a SLAM either way.
Never actually paid attention to this. I’ve noticed bubbles from a couple returns when the pump typically starts up for the first time in the day, almost like it’s pushing out air bubbles, but then it goes away, but outside of that no. My SWG is only a year old, haven’t cleaned it for the first time yet, but haven’t gotten any errors or no flow codes that I’m aware about either.

You should be seeing hydrogen gas bubbles from the returns while the SWG is producing chlorine. Your SWG should have generated around 3 ppm of FC overnight. Coupled with your test results, that a huge FC loss. Either way, if you're confident with test results, SLAM first and test the SWG production later.

With a CYA of 80, SLAM FC levels will be pretty high. You'll have to increase FC to 31 and maintain. You can do a water exchange to drop CYA level, but then you'll have to bump CYA and Salt back up after the SLAM. A benefit of the water exchange is CH reduction. Your choice on how you want to proceed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.