Bob2010

May 30, 2023
Ontario
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I would just like to start with a big thanks to the community. FOr a new pool owner this has been a great resource of information.

I have a raypak 266 natural gas heater for my pool, I believe it's a copper exchanger. I have an aquarite low salt system running at 1700-1800 ppm salt.

Most recent test results ( using TFT)
ph 7.8
CH 200
salt 1800
TA - 100
Cya 60
Free chlorine 8
CC 0

The pool was only open for a month last year after installation before being closed. It was not really used due to it being october at the time. I'm sure the water chemistry was terrible for at least 3 out of those 4 weeks before I balanced it before closing. I took the sample to a store twice now to verify the results of TC which was around 0.2-0.3 ppm over the 3 tests.

I have a few questions regarding this. Should I be worried about this or this setup? I am not sure if this is as a result of my poor water chemistry for those 3 weeks last year. If so, moving forward with my chemistry in check should this stay under control? I do have a sand filter so with backwashing and fresh water I'm hoping this would go down over time or at least not rise. My other concern is with a SWG is it still ok to use copper heat exchangers or should I consider upgrading the heater to one with a different heat exchanger? Lastly I have read (and not sure how accurate this is) that flow and high chlorine levels can increase the corrosion of the copper. If that is true, how high chlorine levels are we talking about? In terms of flow, how much flow would be too much? Current plumbing is all 1.5 inch, however I do have a flow meter and with my VS pump my flows are running around 45-50 gpm at the maximum ( usually 5 hours a day) and 20-30 gpm the rest of the day), SWG flow always active, though output at 50-70% usually.

First, the salt level is way to low for the Aquarite. Normal operating range should be 2700-3400 ppm.

Should I be worried about this or this setup?
You have not really told us anything about the setup. What are you worried about?
I am not sure if this is as a result of my poor water chemistry for those 3 weeks last year. If so, moving forward with my chemistry in check should this stay under control?
Again, I am not sure what you are getting at here. What is the fundamental problem?

I do have a sand filter so with backwashing and fresh water I'm hoping this would go down over time or at least not rise. My other concern is with a SWG is it still ok to use copper heat exchangers or should I consider upgrading the heater to one with a different heat exchanger?
A SWG is just fine with a copper heat exchanger. Low PH levels (<7) are more of a concern for copper heat exchangers.
Lastly I have read (and not sure how accurate this is) that flow and high chlorine levels can increase the corrosion of the copper. If that is true, how high chlorine levels are we talking about? In terms of flow, how much flow would be too much?
Typical pool flow rates will have very little effect on copper erosion. It would take over 100 years to have an appreciable effect. Nothing to be concerned about.

But yes, very high FC , well above SLAM levels, can cause problems but under normal conditions, it should not be an issue. Keep FC below SLAM levels and you should have no worries:

First, the salt level is way to low for the Aquarite. Normal operating range should be 2700-3400 ppm.
I have the aquarite low salt system. From what I can tell I'm supposed to run it between 1200-1800 ppm, though this could be an error?

You have not really told us anything about the setup. What are you worried about?

Again, I am not sure what you are getting at here. What is the fundamental problem?
I think you already answered the first part. I meant SWG with copper heating coil.
My worry is why I have these copper levels in my pool. My thought was for 3 weeks it was running last year without any proper water chemistry and that may have caused some issues. But moving forward with proper water chemistry do I need to be worried about these 0.2-0.3 ppm levels.

Thanks again.

I have the aquarite low salt system. From what I can tell I'm supposed to run it between 1200-1800 ppm, though this could be an error?
No error, my mistake. Most people don't have the low salt version.

I think you already answered the first part. I meant SWG with copper heating coil.
My worry is why I have these copper levels in my pool. My thought was for 3 weeks it was running last year without any proper water chemistry and that may have caused some issues. But moving forward with proper water chemistry do I need to be worried about these 0.2-0.3 ppm levels.
There can be multiple sources for copper.

Do you have any mineral type sanitation in the pool system? If so, get rid of it immediately.

Have you tested the fill water?

Lastly, if the pool has not be managed properly or had a trichlor puck dispenser at one point and PH levels got too low at, then that can leach copper out of the exchanger.

No error, my mistake. Most people don't have the low salt version.

There can be multiple sources for copper.

Do you have any mineral type sanitation in the pool system? If so, get rid of it immediately.

Have you tested the fill water?

Lastly, if the pool has not be managed properly or had a trichlor puck dispenser at one point and PH levels got too low at, then that can leach copper out of the exchanger.

No mineral system

I have not tested the fill water, but the house is a new construction with no copper piping (including the exterior hose bib) which I use to top up the water about 1 inch -2 inch every few weeks depending on backwashing frequency, otherwise pool is covered so minimal evaporation. The hose has brass fittings but I'm not sure that would be a source of considerable copper.

No trichlor pucks, SWG from the start, but as mentioned there was a 3 week period pool chemistry was unlikely in balance so maybe that did cause some leeching.

3 weeks is not very long unless the PH was extremely low. Did you test PH during that period or right before closing?

Also, even though the house does not have copper, the water distribution system in your are may. Also, if there is ground water, it may have high concentrations of copper. I would test the fill water just to make sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.