Jandy Power Transformer Replacement

CGNY

Apr 28, 2018
NY
Moved from here.
I need to replace my transformer as well. Does anyone know if need to discharge the old transformer or can I safely remove a few minutes after shutting down the breakers in the Aquapure?

Also, I have noticed several posts on the internet of burnt transformer plugs like the one pictured above. I have the same issue, along with transformer plugs on backboard that are burnt on the corresponding wires. What causes this? You would think Jandy would have a circuit protector that would kick in before damaging the transformer and backboard.

Moved from here.
I need to replace my transformer as well. Does anyone know if need to discharge the old transformer or can I safely remove a few minutes after shutting down the breakers in the Aquapure?

No, transformers do not need to be discharged. Capacitors need to be discharged.

Also, I have noticed several posts on the internet of burnt transformer plugs like the one pictured above. I have the same issue, along with transformer plugs on backboard that are burnt on the corresponding wires. What causes this? You would think Jandy would have a circuit protector that would kick in before damaging the transformer and backboard.

High amperage likely from high salt levels creates heat. In many SWGs amperage to the cell vary with the salinity.

No, transformers do not need to be discharged. Capacitors need to be discharged.

High amperage likely from high salt levels creates heat. In many SWGs amperage to the cell vary with the salinity.

Hi Allen,

Thanks so much for your response. I can see where high salinity would cause heat damage to the tri-plug going to the salt water cell but could it cause damage to the transformer plug and back board? I have no damage to the tri-plug but both transformer plug and backboard were burnt and looks exactly like this pic posted by another member. Also, anytime salt has been added to the pool I have set SWG to 0% production for 2 days or more

CG

It is hard to say which components are robust enough and which ones are marginal to the currents needs.

The tri plug corrodes but that is due to water leakage and other factors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.