Jandy iAqualink RS8 Auto Mode not working

May 26, 2017
Kissimmee, FL
Hello all,
I have learned so much reading this group. Thank you all.

I have a problem where when the RS is in auto mode the iaqualink shows "Waiting for Connection". Thinking this was an issue with the iaqualink AGAIN, second unit in 5 years. I decided to do a DIY installation instead. Found this raspberry pi software Error: Aqualink daemon looks like serial error, resetting. · Issue #34 · sfeakes/AqualinkD · GitHub which allows you to have the same functions as an iaqualink for about $50 in parts & a few hours of nerd time to get it running. Got it all set up and the same thing. Nothing on Auto mode.

So with this software, I can see the reporting of accurate data (IE: Pump running, ect... ) when the unit is in service mode. However when I put the unit in Auto mode nothing.

Here is what's interesting. When your on a raspberry pi running this command below SHOULD show the output below. However, it shows nothing. However if in service mode it does. So the problem is ONLY on the auto mode, has nothing to do with the iaqualink.

I also tried replacing the PCB and got the same issue. Anyone here have an idea?

sudo -s eval 'stty raw -echo < /dev/ttyUSB0; cat -vte /dev/ttyUSB0'

That should give you lots of junk and a few words, like below

^C^@JANDY AquaLinkRSp^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^@^P^B*^@<^P^C^P^B^H^B^@^@^@^@^@^\^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^P^B$
^B^@^@^@^@^@^^^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^@^P^B`^@r^P^C^P^B^H^B^@^@^@^@^@^\^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^P^B$
^B^@^@^@^@^@^^^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^@^P^B+^@=^P^C^P^B^H^B^@^@^@^@^@^\^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^P^B$
^B^@^@^@^@^@^^^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^@^P^B`^@r^P^C^P^B^H^B^@^@^@^@^@^\^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^P^B^H^C^@ AIR TEMP 87M-_F c^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^P^B$
^B^@^@^@^@^@^^^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^@^P^B8^@J^P^C^P^B^H^B^@^@^@^@^@^\^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^P^B$

If you get this far, things are looking good. Go to installing AqualinkD.

Hello all,
I have learned so much reading this group. Thank you all.

I have a problem where when the RS is in auto mode the iaqualink shows "Waiting for Connection". Thinking this was an issue with the iaqualink AGAIN, second unit in 5 years. I decided to do a DIY installation instead. Found this raspberry pi software Error: Aqualink daemon looks like serial error, resetting. · Issue #34 · sfeakes/AqualinkD · GitHub which allows you to have the same functions as an iaqualink for about $50 in parts & a few hours of nerd time to get it running. Got it all set up and the same thing. Nothing on Auto mode.

So with this software, I can see the reporting of accurate data (IE: Pump running, ect... ) when the unit is in service mode. However when I put the unit in Auto mode nothing.

Here is what's interesting. When your on a raspberry pi running this command below SHOULD show the output below. However, it shows nothing. However if in service mode it does. So the problem is ONLY on the auto mode, has nothing to do with the iaqualink.

I also tried replacing the PCB and got the same issue. Anyone here have an idea?

sudo -s eval 'stty raw -echo < /dev/ttyUSB0; cat -vte /dev/ttyUSB0'
That should give you lots of junk and a few words, like below
^C^@JANDY AquaLinkRSp^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^@^P^B*^@<^P^C^P^B^H^B^@^@^@^@^@^\^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^P^B$
^B^@^@^@^@^@^^^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^@^P^B`^@r^P^C^P^B^H^B^@^@^@^@^@^\^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^P^B$
^B^@^@^@^@^@^^^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^@^P^B+^@=^P^C^P^B^H^B^@^@^@^@^@^\^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^P^B$
^B^@^@^@^@^@^^^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^@^P^B`^@r^P^C^P^B^H^B^@^@^@^@^@^\^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^P^B^H^C^@ AIR TEMP 87M-_F c^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^P^B$
^B^@^@^@^@^@^^^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^@^P^B8^@J^P^C^P^B^H^B^@^@^@^@^@^\^P^C^@^P^B^@^A^@^@^S^P^C^P^B$
If you get this far, things are looking good. Go to installing AqualinkD.

Bryan,

I just opened my iAqualink app to confirm it was not a server issue. It worked fine. I'll see if I can hunt for the Raspberry Pi software to operate mine and get back with you. I've also been playing with ESP 32 chips and I think this could be a very viable replacement for the Jandy system (or any system for matter) that doesn't leave me vulnerable to their server errors. The ESP 32 has sensor connections and wifi built in and it's dirt cheap.

I'll keep you posted. And I hope this helps.

Chris

Ok, so Pool guy just left. No resolution yet, however, the issue appears to be with the drive on the pump creating interference in the signal. He's going back to the shop to ask the other techs if they have ever seen this or how to fix.

In fact, If I unplug the 4 pin to the pump the iaqualink works fine. Sooo, I can either have the pump running in service mode or the iaqualink running with no pump.

REALLY don't want to invest in a new pump. Anyone have any ideas here?

I know Jandy recommends some space like 6 feet from iAqualink antenna to an air blower motor to prevent interference. Not sure about pump motors.

The antenna is about 12 feet away. However, this is not wireless interference. It's coming through the wiring from the pump into the main board basically scrambling the serial data so the app/webpage you use to operate the pump cant get a solid stream of data to interpret.

The antenna is about 12 feet away. However, this is not wireless interference. It's coming through the wiring from the pump into the main board basically scrambling the serial data so the app/webpage you use to operate the pump cant get a solid stream of data to interpret.

Sounds like you need to replace the electronics board on the pump. Jandy pump parts catalog is here —> Zodiac_2019ProductCatalog no prices

Please Read This BEFORE You Post and put details about your pool in your signature. Knowing the model of your pump may get folks helping with more detailed answers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.