Charlotte
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hello. Last week my jandy epump became loud when idling at 1700 RPMs. The sound remains the same on higher RPMs. Sounds like motor went bad based on other videos posted here.

Should I replace it with the same pump or there are better alternatives?

My pool is 26000 gallons, salt water. I live in North Carolina and don’t close the pool, just cover it when for the cold season. I maintain chemistry and all in spec.

Tried looking for motor replacement and can’t find anything. Looks like repairing it will cost as much as new. The pump is sadly 6 years old.

I’m skeptical spending another 2k on something that didn’t even last 10 years. What’s acceptable life expectancy for salt water pumps? I keep it running 24/7 at 1700 RPM.

Jandy pumps can only be purchased from and installed by an authorized Jandy service dealer.
The Jandy pump is as good a quality as any other pump.

If you prefer to do a DIY install, then a Pentair pump sold under the EC code will give a 1 year warranty. There will need to be plumbing changes.

When I started in the business we would tell people to expect 15-18 years from their equipment. Now, everyone says 10 years before replacement. My Hayward VSP is about 11 years old now and has had no problems (yet?). I hear the same about Pentair. I prefer either of these to Jandy as the cost of repairs (not counting the drive/motor) is usually less. When you consider what your pump actually does for you, moving 6 - 7 million gallons of water each year in all weather conditions, a ten-year life span works out to just over $15 per month to keep your pool clean. Not a bad investment. Your car depreciates considerably more. Remember, new variable-speed pumps are just computer-controlled devices that have to work outdoors with little protection.

Jandy pumps can only be purchased from and installed by an authorized Jandy service dealer.
The Jandy pump is as good a quality as any other pump.

If you prefer to do a DIY install, then a Pentair pump sold under the EC code will give a 1 year warranty. There will need to be plumbing changes.
At this point I’m looking at all options due to shorter than expected length of service. Unless the failure is due to user issues, which I don’t this is the case here. Do pumps require service aside from routine filter cleaning?

Do pumps require service aside from routine filter cleaning?
No.
The atmosphere they are in does contribute to rust, etc. Also if they are primed when dry often (suction side leaks, etc) that will shorten the seal life. You should keep the area around the pump free from debris. You should look under the area where the motor and pump meet to see if there is a drip of water. If caught early, the seal can be replaced prior to it damaging the motor.

I took the pump appart. There is a salt deposit under the motor probably due to the leak. The center screw inside the impeller doesn’t come with the seal. I wonder if that’s the reason for the leak. Anyways, looks like the motor got damaged due to long slow leak. Is it worth replacing the motor at this point or the whole pump?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jandy only sells parts through dealers. Looks like cost of replacement of motor with questionable warranty is very close to the cost of the entire pump. I think I’m just gonna hire a pool company at this point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.