Jandy Controllers and Equipment - DIY

DucPool

Mar 23, 2019
Bay Area, California
My new pool includes a Jandy PDA controller and a Jandy variable speed pump. From what I can see Jandy is decent manufacturer, however they do not sell to the public only "pool" contractors. My concern is I want to add a solar heating system and I paid for the upgraded PDA controller and pump for this purpose.

Can you program the Jandy controllers yourself or do you need to have an authorized service/contractor to do it? I don't know if it can be done through the interface at the panel or if a laptop w/software or programmer is required. The controller isn't installed yet just the box. I know that I'll need some additional components. From what I can see I can purchase the jandy 3-way valve w/actuator and temperature probe kit online, I haven't tried yet but it appears to be available through some vendors.

Anyone with experience in trying to do anything yourself with the Jandy Controllers? I want to use the Jandy controller to control the solar rather than have a separate controller and/or pump just for this. I was also told it can control low voltage landscape lighting, I'm guessing this is another $$$ module?

You can do all of the programming yourself with the PDA. However, if you need to add an automated valve for the solar, that would require you to physically connect (plug in) the JVA. It is not hard at all to do this. Landscape lighting is simple. You need an unused relay in your control center. You simply set that unused relay to operate an outlet and plug in your landscape lighting to that outlet. You can program a schedule for the lighting as well with the system once set up. This is also something you can do yourself. I highly suggest that you have the IQ20-RS upgrade done. This switches your system from PDA based to Smartphone and Internet browser based. It is very clunky to program with the PDA. You'll thank me later. Also make sure you have enough relays to control everything you want to control. What system did you get? What is the "#" on the system? A RS-PS4 has 4 relays. Each JVA takes a relay (even though they don't need one) as does the pump. You will run out quickly as I have. If you want solar and landscape lighting I suggest at least a RS6.

https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/sa/sa6465.pdf

Reactions: DucPool
Wow thanks for the response! I only have the control panel box installed so far, I’ll inquire about the upgrade or see if it’s included. I already paid a $2k upgrade cost to get the PDA-P4 controller over the standard! Plus a $600 upgrade to a stealth pump. The pool contractor claimed that was the upgraded cost but wouldn’t give me the cost of the included controller...

I think I’ll just run the landscape lighting on its own. I really just want the solar to be on the same controller as the pool filtration.

Is the IQ20-RS just a module I can buy and add myself?

Wow thanks for the response! I only have the control panel box installed so far, I’ll inquire about the upgrade or see if it’s included. I already paid a $2k upgrade cost to get the PDA-P4 controller over the standard! Plus a $600 upgrade to a stealth pump. The pool contractor claimed that was the upgraded cost but wouldn’t give me the cost of the included controller...

I think I’ll just run the landscape lighting on its own. I really just want the solar to be on the same controller as the pool filtration.

Is the IQ20-RS just a module I can buy and add myself?

Upgrade over what? I think that is the lowest system you can get in Aqualink. And that system I think total to buy is under $2k including the system, powercenter and saltwater generator power interface. How many valves do you have that you want to automate (including Solar)? The P4 only allows you 4 total relays. That is not really enough to do much for expansion. The P6 would give you 2 more so I would at least go with that. I love the landscape lighting integrated in my panel. It allows me one place to schedule/turn on everything pool related. You can do that upgrade yourself it is a small board that needs to be replaced. See below that is what I replaced I did that myself. In addition, you would also plug in the WiFi antennae. The PDA uses a different antenna than the RS system so after you upgrade, you'll have 2 antennas. Be advised you do NOT want the IQ20a! It only gives you basic control with the Smartphone and web! The IQ20-RS gives you total web control.

This is the upgrade you want. It also is an RS8 so up to 8 relays. I think but am not sure you can just add this to your system at any time. Check with the seller. Easy to do yourself (I did mine myself takes 10 minutes). - Jandy iAquaLink Smartphone, iPhone & Web based Pool control Interface IQ20RS 52337065559 | eBay

AoX5-3-ajiNhd5dl1sVRZ-U5o_zY-OqZSKvTbn4LONM3wQAc3ft_kn3Q3yi65hzaorOgV8t0hawSCwQNntNPw4kMBFu6SV0oAa5wpQ-rESccf_o11-4mv4wVX17Ev9QcfAk_Awix3FHrQ4ElrlvdIG3R5Sy0MQutA63gU14w3vErhovrx36Ob6GewNwwjmxQ3hxZmjujxAPxdFSRBIQWi5l83-X8dgF0wpBmRbURQJT0EAQXqUq6lWFc6Y5vBenCWdNdShLj_-Ijsg1vYBmXqqHggPGoOq6sizXOMpWEQwiPD8Fusb9FJM7qXpnbnPl25vK3g4V9oJOokmxddAataQ1sA4wJLE8SiyG015ovQ3GA2EFzNWZ85FbIV-NlUXQvHFhLVCUkdsLOn5SeviwlgcJRtUqxrFVLHW5Z7AefhzAJDI8fRXrfUVPRjsQzAu546dlUE8p5-H18lUyHvVVBsTUWPqrtJAcOrc94C3D8nrDW8v68b4eZxhdIXn8v_N0YqolEOq7ImDpu0KtscsYmaSFl5tS6Sj5sLvRpzjSNR5fDRESHsI47sBUZzOtnkqDQ6cNQLLjsVESFwRobiKDasWG-MdsxTqGoAULrfzQLZBeYpIzIaq_68yciqgRbeKyKZGmjG-L_ylfMR-qPrf9djJsrCna_XsQuaF4C1ob-AWY2nDtKtq32vo_ItYDnfQtRpngEA1a8xDZNP3qrG60XZf1x=w533-h947-no

Last edited:
It maybe too late but I think I’m going to need to speak to my pool contractor. It looks like I’ve over paid quite significantly, I had the JEP controller and a flopro pump. They claimed that what I paid was the “upgrade costs”. The equipment still isn’t installed or onsite either, I don’t think it’s even been purchased yet, but I did pay the change order.

Good to know I can do the upgrades myself.

Edit: accidentally duplicated my previous post

Last edited:
What are you getting with your pool? Any water features like waterfalls or deck jets? Will you have a pressure or suction cleaning robot? All of those things could benefit from automated control (automated valve). Be advised that while you could install and upgrade most of this yourself, Jandy has recently changed their warranty terms so that if your stuff is not professionally installed, the warranty is not valid. As you have seen, contractors can and will jump on this opportunity to overcharge for installation.

The IQ20-RS board (PDA board similar, pictured above) is the brains of the system. It is where all the programming and functionality is stored. Your system will come with a PDA board but the "upgrade" will come with the web-enabled functionality.

When I was in negotiations for my pool I got a separate quote for the iAqualink system. For the entire system (IQ20-RS + PDA) and new variable speed 2.7 HP pump it was $3500 including installation. I ultimately went with the builder's package which was slightly cheaper (after I showed him my quote) but I did not get to keep or get credit for the existing pump.

The pool is pretty basic with no water falls or deck jets, but the package includes a Polaris 360 energy sweep.

Thanks for the insight on not getting a credit or being able to keep the existing pump, it doesn't seem like I'm getting a credit even though they say I am. I already approved and paid for the change order so negotiating is going to be difficult, I'm going to see if I can get them to at least bump me up to the next level so I have the additional relays.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.