Jandy Actuator not working

utmom

Bronze Supporter
Jan 2, 2017
Utah
My Jandy actuator is not working as it was before. Normally, if I wanted to run the cleaner (suction side cleaner) I simply click that button (assigned auxiliary) and it would move the valve and the pump would turn on (same with my waterfall). Now, the valve will move, for example, I click the cleaner, the valve engages, but the pump won't kick on. Of course, I can manually turn on the pump and it will work as it is supposed to. Same with the waterfall--I have to (now) press both the assigned auxiliary button and the pump button to get them to go on. Also, it seems the valve isn't returning to the original position. I ran a diagnostic test, and I saw the valves moving, but I did notice the one valve didn't move back. Since the test moves through the cycle very fast, it didn't allow enough time for the valve to complete the cycle--but one valve just stayed in that position (only moved an inch--so neither fully open or closed--and it didn't return to the start position). Any ideas?
I have a Pentair system.

Mom,

Sounds to me like you have two problems, as the valves moving are not linked to the pump's speed.

I suspect you, or someone else, has been playing with the programming.. If you re-select the "type" of pump, it will delete all the speeds assigned to various circuits.

It sounds like the valve that is not moving has a bad actuator.

Do you have ScreenLogic???

Jim R.

Thank you for your reply.
I don't think the programming has been messed with--but it is totally possible. The speeds seem to still work--as the waterfall requires a higher pump speed, and it does recognize that--and the pump moves higher RPM (that's after I press the "pump" button--in addition to the waterfall button). I flipped the switches on the back--both valves went to the "on" position. I suspect that may be part of it. So both valves move, in both directions--but just not when they are supposed to. If I had to say what "I" thought was the problem--which sounds a little like maybe what you first mentioned....it seems like the valves are not connected to their proper "button" anymore (where they automatically turn AND engage the pool pump)-- It seems like they are not linked to the pump. They will ultimately do their job, but it takes way more steps than it ever did. Maybe I need to reset them? I know I did that once, and I wanted to die after---it was a disaster to get it all square again.

I do not have screenlogic, but I do have a tab open considering the purchase. o_O:rolleyes:

Mom,

Sounds to me like you have two problems, as the valves moving are not linked to the pump's speed.

I suspect you, or someone else, has been playing with the programming.. If you re-select the "type" of pump, it will delete all the speeds assigned to various circuits.

It sounds like the valve that is not moving has a bad actuator.

Do you have ScreenLogic???

Jim R.

No, It's not in service mode--I did check that.
I think I'll try the reset button, I didn't try that because I was afraid that was the "start over" button that I selected last time (and all of my settings were lost).

I thought about this again and want to make sure that you are not in the Service mode...

Jim R.

Your valves are not linked directly to the motor speed.. the system computer has to understand that the valve is being told to turn and then tell the pump to run at a specific speed. Seems to me that since it will work when you push two buttons, that for some reason the system computer is not doing what it should.

Trying a reset makes sense to me...

Are other things that run off a schedule working like they should??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reset did nothing. There is some disconnect....somewhere....I'm sure it's so simple. ugh! I had an electrician out shortly before I noticed the issues, but I'm not sure if he changed anything -he was testing another issue on the pool cover. I do have a device on the cover that will PREVENT the waterfall valves from turning on if the cover is in the closed position. After the electrician left, I told him that my valves weren't working anymore like they should--he said it was because of the faulty circuit for the pool cover--that the valves think the cover is closed--so they won't engage. That made perfect sense--but I just had that component replaced and the valves still are not working. Maybe there is a reset for that circuit---I'm not sure. I guess I'll have him back out and take another look. The valves will ultimately do what I need them, they just aren't automated anymore. The pump will come on as scheduled, but if the valve is still in the suction (pool sweep) mode...it will do that (because of the valve didn't return to the original (non-sweeper) position after I shut it off. Super frustrating for sure.

Just a follow-up. We did discover that the new rotary switch is the culprit for the valve not working--so we are working on that part....
BUT....I still have one issue and I'm certain it HAS to be programming---I'm really hoping one of you may have some ideas as I've watched about every video on the internet, and I'm sure it's something I'm missing. o_O

Normally, when I select the cleaner (suction side sweeper) I click the assigned button---and all the glory begins. Now...I have to press the cleaner button which engages the valve...but NOT the pump---I'm having to press the first button or the "pool filter" button to engage the pump. Any ideas on how to get the "cleaner" button back to automatically engaging the pump upon pressing the button?

Mom,

You need to make sure whatever circuit turns on the valve is also telling the pump to run at xx speed.

You can find what valve is assigned to what circuit by going to... Menu, Settings, Valves.. you can see what "Circuit" is assigned to valve A and B..

Then go to Menu, Settings, IntelliFlo, pump #1, speeds... and you will see what circuit is assigned to speed 1/8.. Then go to 2/8, then 3/8 etc.. Makes sure that whatever circuit is assigned to the valve is also assigned to the pump...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, that is set up. Valve A is the water feature (which works fine) and B is the "Cleaner" which is not engaging the pump.
Under pump speeds, the "water feature" is set to 2310 and the "cleaner" is set to 2000.

Mom,

You need to make sure whatever circuit turns on the valve is also telling the pump to run at xx speed.

You can find what valve is assigned to what circuit by going to... Menu, Settings, Valves.. you can see what "Circuit" is assigned to valve A and B..

Then go to Menu, Settings, IntelliFlo, pump #1, speeds... and you will see what circuit is assigned to speed 1/8.. Then go to 2/8, then 3/8 etc.. Makes sure that whatever circuit is assigned to the valve is also assigned to the pump...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.