Jandy 6613 blowing fuses!

ering210

Jul 29, 2021
San Diego, CA
Yesterday morning I noticed I had no lights on the indoor controller. After doing a bit of research, I discovered I had a blown fuse on the back of my controller circuit board. I ordered a bunch of fuses which arrived today.
I replaced the fuse and the transformer made a humming noise and the fuse blew right away. I disconnected things, first all the JVA's, then everything else. Each time the fuse blew. I finally found a troubleshooting chart that said after disconnecting the JVA's if the fuse still blew, remove both relay chips. After some research, I decided that they were referring to the two socketed ST micro uln2803a chips which I cross referenced as Jandy 3814. I actually have an old chip puller so I removed them after taking pictures of their orientation. The fuse still blew.

This is where things went (further?) south. I carefully replaced the chips. I double checked the pins and orientation. I turned on the breaker and the fuse did NOT blow...but the system didn't light up either!

Now, when I check the transformer input to the circuit board (on the two yellow wires), I'm only getting a couple of volts where I had previously gotten 26V. When I flip the circuit on I no longer get a loud hum from the transformer and the fuse doesn't blow but the system isn't working.

Did I somehow blow the transformer? Could the multiple tries (where the transformer buzzed each time) have killed it?

Any suggestions on next steps? The troubleshooting guide indicates the Power Center PCB. Do I also need a transformer. Would you replace the transformer first?

I appreciate any help!

Sorry you have not received any responses. Let's give your thread a bump on this Sunday morning to see if some responses are out there.

It could be the board is loading the transformer down or the transformer is just bad.. I would disconnect the transformer from the main card.. (at least one side) and then test the transformer's output again... If the output goes back up to 26 volts AC, then I would have to assume that the main card is bad.

I would remove the two chips again and try it before buying anything..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks. I did disconnect the transformer and the voltage was still low. I just replaced the transformer AND the Power Center PCB and have a new problem. The override controls work just fine but my Aqualink RS 6 is lit up and displaying 6700 rev C. I have verified the wiring, I even took the controller off the wall and connected it directly with a new cable but that didn't help. I have reset the breaker. There is no battery connected.

The old PCB was an 8124a assembly 8125a. The new one is 8124a assembly 8125G. Is that an issue? Is there anything else I should try? Did I just get a bad board?

Thanks again

Last edited:
Would an incompatible PPD chip cause this? The replacement board came off of eBay and it was for a PDA PS6 so it has that 8272 chip in it. Is it simply that the PPD chip is incompatible? I cant find documentation anywhere that makes this totally clear but that's the conclusion I've come to. Any merit?

If it is, then I have to decide if I risk my new PCB with the old chip.

Thanks in advance!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.