Jandy 2.7 hp pump has some water on the pad

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
So I noticed some water on the pad under my pump today, whats the most common issue? Assuming the O ring gasket between the wethead and the motor head? It’s not making noise so I assume it’s not the shaft seal?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    780 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    744.7 KB · Views: 37
Could be the shaft seal leaking. By the time the bearing is making noise you have motor problems.

Could be a leaking drain plug.

Gotta love this junk Jandy Equip. 6 years of use I have had the motor replaced once for a bad bearing, heater board go out, transformer go out. Now this after a new motor 3 years ago. So I assume get a seal kit and tear it apart.
it’s not a leading plug. Gotta be the main housing seal or shaft seal?

looks like a leak where the motor attaches to the wet head. Assuming not sure why it’s leaking. Is this a DIY job? should I assume I need a new shaft seal kit, new diffuser and seal?

Attachments

• 7BD881C5-30F7-4C63-810A-398DFA60ADEC.jpeg
    7BD881C5-30F7-4C63-810A-398DFA60ADEC.jpeg
    431.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 9688C3D3-6E4D-4FB3-B6AB-3CC914EC7573.jpeg
    9688C3D3-6E4D-4FB3-B6AB-3CC914EC7573.jpeg
    534.6 KB · Views: 17
It appears like its leaking where the motor attaches to the back plate but there does not appear to be a gasket or o ring at this place in the manual? Part 1 and 2. See photos of the pump above. I would assume there is some o ring there but there is no part listed in the manual.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    611.2 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 5
Took everything apart, looks like some water was in there as the motor shaft has some light surface rust that removed with steel wool. Pretty easy, noticed my diffuser only had one o ring??? That’s odd. I did purchase a new diffuse, it came with two o rings. The one thing I forgot was to purchase a new impeller screw and o ring. Now I am worried to put it back together with the old screw o ring. Might have to wait a day or two to get the new screw/o ring. Assume the pool will be okay with no pump for the day. Looks like I caught this just in time, could have taken out the motor bearing.

338D3C60-20C4-41D9-B1B5-57DAC3384CFF.jpeg

Attachments

• D349B434-B0A7-4C1B-BB5A-65BB0BFE4BA0.jpeg
    D349B434-B0A7-4C1B-BB5A-65BB0BFE4BA0.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 51642F21-233D-4AE4-ADA2-142E53871E44.jpeg
    51642F21-233D-4AE4-ADA2-142E53871E44.jpeg
    579.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 73536F77-9EF4-4830-A094-29A36C78269A.jpeg
    73536F77-9EF4-4830-A094-29A36C78269A.jpeg
    448.3 KB · Views: 14

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Took everything apart, looks like some water was in there as the motor shaft has some light surface rust that removed with steel wool. Pretty easy, noticed my diffuser only had one o ring??? That’s odd. I did purchase a new diffuse, it came with two o rings. The one thing I forgot was to purchase a new impeller screw and o ring. Now I am worried to put it back together with the old screw o ring. Might have to wait a day or two to get the new screw/o ring. Assume the pool will be okay with no pump for the day. Looks like I caught this just in time, could have taken out the motor bearing.

View attachment 446200
Unfortunately, your bearings have been damaged with that much of a seal leak. Takes a while to see that much corrosion. It may take a while, but noise will show up. Examine the sealplate carefully. They sometimes have small cracks at the sealcup as well.

I had one just like it last season, motor was shot so new motor was installed with new shaft seal and I couldn't get to to stop leaking only to realize the back plate was damaged where the seal goes into so after the new back pate and impeller and I can't remember what else the rest was history.

back again. So I replaced the impeller, diverter, shaft seal, o-rings, put it all back together and there were no leaks for 2 weeks. This morning I noticed water around the pump again? WTH? How could a new shaft seal work for 2 wks then leak again. Any thoughts? Should I turn off the pump until I can tear it down again?

just a note I followed the jandy instructions for replacement, only used some soapy water for setting the rubber part of the seal into the back plate. There was no call for lube other than using a tiny bit for holding the back plate o ring in place which I did using the supplied lube from the kit. I only used a couple dabs of it to hold the o-ring in place while I re-assembled the pump.

Last edited:
I got that, just trying to get some advise from anyone who has dealt with this issue. The new seal solved the leak, but to go out again after 2 wks is odd. Yes I can just replace parts but i’m not sure why it would fail again. clearly something else is going on.

I got that, just trying to get some advise from anyone who has dealt with this issue. The new seal solved the leak, but to go out again after 2 wks is odd. Yes I can just replace parts but i’m not sure why it would fail again. clearly something else is going on.
Jandy pumps, unfortunately, have a reputation of leaking after a repair/seal replacement. The leak is in the sealplate itself most of the time, sometimes caused by the impeller. Would be very unusual for a properly installed seal to fail so quickly unless the pump ran dry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.