Jandy 2.7 hp pump has some water on the pad

Jandy pumps, unfortunately, have a reputation of leaking after a repair/seal replacement. The leak is in the sealplate itself most of the time, sometimes caused by the impeller. Would be very unusual for a properly installed seal to fail so quickly unless the pump ran dry.
Okay thank you, that was helpful, so the sealplate is the backplate, I’m guessing I will need to replace that also? I believe I installed the shaft seal correctly. I did not use any lube as the install instructions said to use soapy water. But then I also see people saying I must use a lube sealer? I guess I will pull the motor and replace the seal again. If it leaks again I will need to replace the backplate?

Okay thank you, that was helpful, so the sealplate is the backplate, I’m guessing I will need to replace that also? I believe I installed the shaft seal correctly. I did not use any lube as the install instructions said to use soapy water. But then I also see people saying I must use a lube sealer? I guess I will pull the motor and replace the seal again. If it leaks again I will need to replace the backplate?
Hopefully, you won't, but it may be the sealplate. Sealplate is the part that the seal is inserted into and the motor bolts to. Also, closely examine the impeller for a crack, especially at the center where the screw attaches. I always use a small amount of silicone sealant on the part of the seal that inserts into the sealplate. Small amount, slightly more than shiny so that it doesn't end up on the seal surface. I generally apply it right on the corner of the rubber cup.

Last season I had a 2 hp jandy that did the same to me but only lasted 30 minutes and drove me nuts. I discovered the seal plate was distorted where the shaft seal gets pressed in and wasn't letting the ceramic perfectly mate as it couldn't bottom out perfectly in the seal plates. Low and behold a new shaft seal again, seal plate and a warped impeller replaced and the rest is history.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.