James Webb Space Telescope (JWST)

It will be sad to see @JamesW leave TFP but, once he gets to the Lagrange point in space the time delay and data speeds will be too slow to load up TFP on his mobile device. I hear they're going to provide him with a rotary dial phone so he can relay his observations ...

To help pass the time while we wait, some fun news was had.

Step one : battleships.
Step two: Frickin SHARKS !!!

FF110056-A7DA-44BA-AA0E-DCEB1F0CA761.jpeg

To help pass the time while we wait, some fun news was had.

Step one : battleships.
Step two: Frickin SHARKS !!!

View attachment 385147

Meh, they just used a solid state laser ... sissies! Real men use deutrium-fluoride gas lasers where you ignite ethylene gas with nitrogen trifluoride in a resonant cavity to create a mid-infrared (3.8um) wavelength laser .. capable of megawatts of continuous laser output .... I love the smell of hydrofluoric acid exhaust vapor in the morning!!

apocalypse now napalm GIF

Here are some of the reasons for the delays:

1) We will be upgrading to a new fast energy technology for communications that travels at 5.95 x 10^23 light years per second.

2) We are installing a 987 Yottawatt Gamma Ray Laser on the telescope for defense against alien attacks.

3) We need to patch the log4j vulnerability before hackers hack in and try to commandeer the telescope.

4) Due to budgetary constraints, we will be converting all images into NFTs and selling them on several blockchain platforms. Starting bids are at 1 BTC (11.93 ETH)>

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I cannot think of a cooler thing to have on the TV while little kids and/or science fans of any age open presents. (At least for us east coasters who will probably be up to see it).

Imagine the elementary school-er opening up a Lego Spaceship as a real live one takes off ?

I cannot think of a cooler thing to have on the TV while little kids and/or science fans of any age open presents. (At least for us east coasters who will probably be up to see it).

Imagine the elementary school-er opening up a Lego Spaceship as a real live one takes off ?

Note from Santa: Just remember, Santa can see if you have been naughty or nice in the metaverse.

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
Reactions: Mdragger88
The telescope’s revolutionary technology will explore every phase of cosmic history – from within our solar system to the most distant observable galaxies in the early universe, to everything in between. Webb will reveal new and unexpected discoveries and help humanity understand the origins of the universe and our place in it.

I heard @JamesW will be on board to periodically rotate the telescope in order to take pictures of all the pools owned by TFP Mods and ensure they are following TFP best practices. There have been many lax mods lately and behaviors will be corrected either voluntarily or by “selective coercion” :whip:

Just remember … James is watching you :suspect:

I didn’t know much about this monumental apparatus but apparently one of my Air Force friends has transported many of the pieces of this all over the world for testing & assembly & posted about it yesterday. Very interesting!

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
The Webb Telescope is starting to send back its first data stream and here's what they are seeing with it's wide-angle visible spectrum camera mounted to the side of the telescope gantry....

Dance Reaction GIF by DOMCAKE

That image alone totally makes it was worth the $25B spent developing and launching it!!

Reactions: Saturn94
I just watched “Don’t Look Up” yesterday- now I’m not sure I want to have the knowledge of everything it might see 🤣🤣

Was anyone else kinda bummed that we could barely see the shuttle clear the tower and they had to switch to an animation of ‘what it probably looked like’ due to the low visibility ? :laughblue:

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Was anyone else kinda bummed that we could barely see the shuttle clear the tower and they had to switch to an animation of ‘what it probably looked like’ due to the low visibility ? :laughblue:

Yeah. As others have said, Ariane rocket launches suck. They don’t do any good camera shots or live feeds. They seriously need to up their marketing hype game …

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.