James Webb Space Telescope (JWST)

The James Webb Space Telescope will not be in orbit around the Earth, like the Hubble Space Telescope is - it will actually orbit the Sun, 1.5 million kilometers (1 million miles) away from the Earth at what is called the second Lagrange point or L2. What is special about this orbit is that it lets the telescope stay in line with the Earth as it moves around the Sun. This allows the satellite's large sunshield to protect the telescope from the light and heat of the Sun and Earth (and Moon).

Reactions: Newdude
I have applied to ride along, but they said no (even though I paid for the entire thing).

I will have to log into the datacenter along with everyone else.

It’s going to be amazing what it finds.
Wait. I’m late to this story, but apparently have not missed this launch. so exciting. Did you help create this telescope? Or are you one of us super fans?!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It’s going to be amazing what it finds.

It’s going to be funny to see all the little green aliens riding comets out in the Kuiper Belt dropping their spacesuit pants and mooning the telescope …. totally worth the $80,000,000,000 spent building it !!

👽

One of the reasons that we need the JWST is because some of the photons from distant galaxies are redshifted and the JWST is designed to see the light from the most distant galaxies.

Some of the photons are not redshifted.

Which photons are not redshifted and why aren't they redshifted?

One of the reasons that we need the JWST is because some of the photons from distant galaxies are redshifted and the JWST is designed to see the light from the most distant galaxies.

Why was the photon able to go fast?

… because it was traveling light ….

Photons and gluons are gauge bosons that are unaffected by the Higgs field, so they are not just light, they are massless.

Also, from its perspective, the photon does not experience time.

As far as a photon is concerned, the trip from 10 billion light years away took zero time and the photon went zero distance since the length was contracted to zero in the direction of travel.

Redshift happens when the wavelength of light is made longer.

For example, blue light has a shorter wavelength than red light.

So, as the blue light gets stretched out, the wavelength gets closer to the wavelength of red light, hence “redshift”.

However, if the photons are red or longer wavelength, the further stretching of the wavelength shifts the wavelength away from red towards radio frequencies and not towards red.

So, the photons are radio shifted.

Technically, any increase is called redshift even when the wavelength is shifted away from the red wavelength, so it was a trick question.

happy the big bang theory GIF by CBS

Sorry - I have no idea what was just said, but this was all I could think of. :laughblue:

I do appreciate the share of the launch site. I am going to be looking at that. This looks like it will be really amazing!

--Jeff

An “incident” with the James Webb Space Telescope has occurred.

NASA is leading an anomaly review board to investigate and conduct additional testing.

The large, space-based telescope's "no earlier than" launch date will slip from December 18 to at least December 22 after an "incident" occurred during processing operations at the launch site in Kourou, French Guiana.

That is where the telescope will launch on an Arianne 5 rocket provided by the European Space Agency.

If they screw this up, there will be a lot of very unhappy people.

• Sad
Reactions: kul

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.