I've got absolutely no clue where to start!

View attachment 99897View attachment 99898View attachment 99899

So, I have a question about this lol.

We raked and raked and raked and brushed and pushed for a week now and nothing was coming up.

Could my new pump have somehow loosened the leaf patch on the deep end? Like, was it a solid mass before or WHAT.

That is 3 piles. And it wasn’t just from one area. We are pulling them from all over the deep end now.
Definitely! Your new pump is moving water now!

I think it’s possible, since we pulled so many out. We had other things to do so going to try again another day to find that drain.

We pressure washed the concrete. Looks a lot better!

I tested my CYA again today in the sun, back to sun in my shadow. The tube was about 80% cloudy at level 20, so pretty low. I added 3lbs of cya, soaking in a nylon now, hoping to get closer to 30.

I needed to adjust my testing times as i’m losing FC quick again which I actually take as a good sign! Dropped pretty low a few times (5.5), so i’ll statt testing more frequently again.

There is so much funk in the pool that running the filter at 3-3400 causes me to have to backwash every hour or so. The water doesn’t look nearly as bad as that earlier pic however lol.

Concrete difference!
806F843F-F3C1-4A37-BF96-416DA49F7D00.jpeg

Reactions: BuckeyeMac
I tested my CYA again today in the sun, back to sun in my shadow. The tube was about 80% cloudy at level 20, so pretty low. I added 3lbs of cya, soaking in a nylon now, hoping to get closer to 30.
Yes that is quite likely between the rain & backwashing :D Good job!

I needed to adjust my testing times as i’m losing FC quick again which I actually take as a good sign! Dropped pretty low a few times (5.5), so i’ll statt testing more frequently again.
Oh yeah, progress!!

There is so much funk in the pool that running the filter at 3-3400 causes me to have to backwash every hour or so. The water doesn’t look nearly as bad as that earlier pic however lol.
This is exciting!! Can't wait to see what that pool looks like! (with "clear" water!)

Sigh.

Woke up to do maintenance, checked filter pressure (i thought it was interesting I didn’t need to backwash), added bleach, squished out my cya and went to brush the pool...

I think all of my sand is now in the deep end of my pool.

We were leafing all day yesterday so it happened sometime after. The last thing I did before bed was backwash and rinse, then set the rpms low.

?

Sigh.

Woke up to do maintenance, checked filter pressure (i thought it was interesting I didn’t need to backwash), added bleach, squished out my cya and went to brush the pool...

I think all of my sand is now in the deep end of my pool.

We were leafing all day yesterday so it happened sometime after. The last thing I did before bed was backwash and rinse, then set the rpms low.

?
Oh my! You actually touched sand with your brush?

So i’ve been reading possible causes

Broken lateral, we inspected before installing and added water to the filter before filling and poured the sand slowly so i’m really doubting it’s this?

Wrong kind of sand... I bought the quikrete pool sand from Lowe’s so I am not sure.

And then I read somewhere that mismatched gpm flow could backwash sand into the pool. I can’t find where I read it now. This last ones seems the most likely to me? I think maybe we had the pump too high? As I only read this is one place I’m not sure if it’s adrually true.

Assuming nothing is broken, If i lower pump speed can I try vacuuming to filter to get my sand back in there and see if it comes out again?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay.

It’s not sand. We found rocks? I guess we uncovered them and that’s why it feels like sand? And I think there is a large branch that got in there last night. I guess I was swirling up mud from that.

I think we’re gonna have to get some nose plugs and flippers to get that out of there. I’m sure it’s not gonna help my FC. ?

Oh well... at least my equipment is okay.

I have family moving to the state on the 23rd and they want the pool ready!! ?

Okay but i’m looking into this I realized I can’t just run my pump on any setting it will use. Could someone please help me figure out the rpm I should set it on, max?

313B6642-43EF-4A7D-B9BD-56B86FBF65CE.jpeg
C9789EFC-5628-49DB-ACBF-1438D8FC4F16.jpeg

This is the filter page that explains gpms.

915B65FD-A8C7-4084-9034-8A6B396A6B13.jpeg

This is the diagram from the pump book showing gpms and such

edit;
I had the wrong filter image! Fixed

Last edited:
Okay.

It’s not sand. We found rocks? I guess we uncovered them and that’s why it feels like sand? And I think there is a large branch that got in there last night. I guess I was swirling up mud from that.

I think we’re gonna have to get some nose plugs and flippers to get that out of there. I’m sure it’s not gonna help my FC. ?

Oh well... at least my equipment is okay.
Yay for no sand, but WHOA! This got real, lol!!!

Can't wait for more clearing to happen!!!

Okay but i’m looking into this I realized I can’t just run my pump on any setting it will use. Could someone please help me figure out the rpm I should set it on, max?
This is unique to each pool & plumbing setup.
You can play with each different setting and see what happens.
I believe most VS pump owners run on the lowest setting for max filtering (particles are being pushed through the filter media), but bump up the speed when vacuuming or higher flow is desired.

I have family moving to the state on the 23rd and they want the pool ready!! ?

View attachment 100105
View attachment 100106

This is the filter page that explains gpms.

View attachment 100104

This is the diagram from the pump book showing gpms and such

edit;
I had the wrong filter image! Fixed
We have the same VSP and I'll usually run mine at 2900rpm for 2 hours (i've got a lot of trees and the higher speed help clean it in the AM) then run it on low speed for the rest of the day. My low speed is 1700. Your speed might vary based on your pool, plumbing, etc. I personally found that 1700 was strong enough to still skim my pool while also providing enough flow for the SWCG to still produce.

Reactions: splashpad
We have the same VSP and I'll usually run mine at 2900rpm for 2 hours (i've got a lot of trees and the higher speed help clean it in the AM) then run it on low speed for the rest of the day. My low speed is 1700. Your speed might vary based on your pool, plumbing, etc. I personally found that 1700 was strong enough to still skim my pool while also providing enough flow for the SWCG to still produce.

It looks like we have the same filter too? If your signature is still current :) I’ll try out your settings and see how it goes! I’ve been a bit scared of it since I was reading about gpm maximums lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.