Issues with air in pump basket after new VS pump and filter installed

Aug 24, 2016
Winston Salem, NC
I recently had my single speed pump and old sand filter replaced with a VS Pentair pump and a Hayward sand filter. There would usually be bubbles in the old pump basket, but I figured it was due to the age (>15 years old). With the new pump and filter installed, I was able to start using low rpm pump speeds, which didn't fill up the pump basket completely, and had the filter pressure at <5psi. I figured this was normal since it could pump a certain amount of water in.

I checked it the next day, while it had been operating at about 2400 rpm for a while (still slamming after opening), and the filter pressure was at 22 psi, and there wasn't much coming out of the jets. I figured it needed to be backwashed, so I proceeded to do that. Upon getting the pump back to 2400 rpm after backwashing and priming, the filter psi hadn't dropped at all. It's normally at ~16psi after a backwash, so I was a tad confused. Then I noticed that there were still bubbles in the pump basket at medium speed, and even high speed, and now there were bubbles coming out of the returns even at max rpm.

I honestly can't remember if bubbles have always come out of the return or not, even with the single speed, but it seems after some googling that I might potentially have some air leaks somewhere? I'm attaching a link to video of the pool return, and then the pump/filter.

Any advice would be appreciated. Since then, I've rescheduled the pump to run at max rpm 24hrs a day until my slam process is complete.

Videos: 2 new photos by Christopher Peterson

I replaced mine and had bubbles and found a PVC joint I forgot to glue :) I had 4 inputs so had a lot to glue and fit and just missed one.
The way I found mine was I shut off the return and made sure the basket was full and say water leaking at a joint.

Your pump basket should be full (with maybe one quarter size bubble) at all speeds.

Gotcha. Well looks like I'll be doing some troubleshooting this evening. Thanks for the tips! I'll keep you updated. I hope it's not something leaking that's beyond my control...as this pool is estimated to be 30 years old, and uses the black piping underground, which I'm told isn't used at all anymore.

Chris,

If this were my system, as a test I would put the filter into the recirculate position and see what happens.. If the pump is still full of air then I would fix that problem first... I got a feeling that the filter is not passing the water and the pump is cavitating...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Chris,

Normally, your multiport valve is in filter position, which sends the water through the filter... the harder it is for the pump to push water through the filter the higher the filter pressure. If you move the multiport valve to the recirculate position (just for a test).. the water will by pass the filter and go right back to the pool..

If the pump runs fine in the recirculate mode, it is a pretty good indication that the water can't pass through the filter as easy as it should. Generally, this is because the filter is just dirty.. In a few cases it is because something in the filter is broken inside.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chris,

Your pump was designed to be installed with unions at the input and output of the pump.. This allows you to take the pump out without cutting any plumbing. The idiots that installed your pump just hard plumbed it into the system.. The only way to get it out now is to cut the plumbing... The pump comes with the proper unions... it is actually harder to install the way they did it..

Sigh!!

Jim R.

Pool store came back out and re-glued some of the connections, there is now no air coming through. They still didn't install the unions that you mentioned even though I put the unions right by the pump. Sigh. No one cares about your stuff as much as you do....I'm really starting to understand that.

Thanks for your help though!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.