Issues keeping surface skimmed

May 9, 2015
Southern TN
I am looking for some advice on how to improve the surface water cleanliness. I keep bugs and those dang flying ants. My pool has the skimmers on same side as jets. What in the world can I do to keep the top cleaner! I have a pool with sparkling, clean water , no trash on bottom. Then, the top water ruins it!

L,

Are your skimmer weir doors working or have they been removed?

Those doors make a difference in how well the skimmer works,

Thanks,

Jim R.

I know the one in the shallow end is good. But you know, I am not sure if there is one on the other. Will check in the morning

- - - Updated - - -

I have been thinking about the pool skim device. I wanted to see if there is something I can do as far as jet direction or something first. I was hoping to not have to spend more money. Sigh ... Thanks for thr reply!!!

I've had the pool skim installed for at least five years or more. I checked the link and I noticed it has gone way up in price. I want to say I paid around $50-$60 and it's double that now. There's really not much to it at all. However I can tell you it actually works and pulls a lot more than my regular skimmer ever did. Make sure you have strong flow out of the return that you install it on. The stronger the flow the more debris it will pull in.

If you have rambunctious kids it may get knocked off the pool return frequently but if your swimmers are careful that shouldn't be a problem. The top round rim on mine has now deteriorated somewhat with the sun and chlorine exposure. It has developed some small holes and a rougher texture so it's not quite as effective as it used to be but it still works. The net and other parts are as good as new though.

how do you have your jets aimed now?

I have mine in a counter-clockwise flow configuration and aimed up just a slight amount in
the deep end and even more up in the shallow end. For the pill shape of the pool this
provides maximum surface debri push to the skimmer area. And yes do be sure both
your weir doors are functioning..

This time of year now for me is really tough though, neighbors trees dump a metric
ton of pollen on my pool. underwater with a mask on it looks really bad and my
water was a bit murky from it, but finally cleared up well this past weekend.

gotta love springtime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.