Issue with Hayward AquaRite SWG generating chlorine with no water flow

Apr 2, 2017
Tampa, Florida
Yesterday afternoon I manually turned on the SWG for a couple hours at the end of the day when it is usually off to get a little more chlorine in the pool. The pump goes off automatically at 7 PM and I didn't get out there to turn the SWG off untill around 11 PM. When I got out there I saw the light was on indicating it was still actively generating chlorine when the pump had been off for like 4 hours. Anyone know what the reason it wouldn't turn off is? Flow sensor is bad? Do you think this did any damage to the cell generating chlorine for that long with no flow? Thanks!

That is a very dangerous situation, and could be a bad flow sensor. Make sure you tie the SWG with the pump relay so they work together just as an extra failsafe. Are you sure it was generating? or was it just ON and not generating? That can cause a gas explosion.

Felipe

Yeah I figured it's not a good situation. I'm pretty sure it was generating. There was a solid green light next to 'Generating' on the control panel just like in normal operation. I tested again this morning for a minute with no pump running and it stayed on so something is definitely not working. The SWG is on it's own relay/timer and set to run only when the pump is running. Yesterday was an exception with my turning it on manually but I wasn't worried about it because I've seen in the past where it stops generating when water flow stops. I will watch it a lot closer until this issue gets resolved.

The SWG is on it's own relay/timer and set to run only when the pump is running. Yesterday was an exception with my turning it on manually but I wasn't worried about it because I've seen in the past where it stops generating when water flow stops. I will watch it a lot closer until this issue gets resolved.

Please use the same timer for both the Pump and SWG, its the only way to be safe, don't relay on the Flow sensor.

Felipe

Next time the pump is off and the SWG and the green generating light is on check the amps to see if they read 0. If the amps are 0 then the system is not trying to generate chlorine at that moment. If it does read 0, turn the output dial to 100% and see if the red no flow light comes on and check the amps again.

Next time the pump is off and the SWG and the green generating light is on check the amps to see if they read 0. If the amps are 0 then the system is not trying to generate chlorine at that moment. If it does read 0, turn the output dial to 100% and see if the red no flow light comes on and check the amps again.

Ok so I went out and with the SWG generating chlorine and the pump running the AMPS are at 6.3. I switch the pump off and the SWG keeps generating but the AMPS slowly start decreasing. I waited maybe 3-4 mins and by that time they were down to around 3 AMPS. I imagine another 3-4 mins it would've went to 0 but I didn't want to risk it and wait any longer. Is this a built in safety to stop chlorine generation if the flow sensor goes out maybe?

The reason that the amps went down was because chlorine and hydrogen gas were being produced, which caused the water around the plates to decrease.

Also, as the chloride was used up, the plates would be less effective.

A mixture of chlorine gas and hydrogen gas is very volatile and can spontaneously explode, making the cell essentially a pipe bomb.

Definitely, keep the SWG off until the flow detector can be fixed.

Do you have any pictures?

Also, running with no flow should not have caused any harm to the cell. The only harm would be if the cell exploded.

The reason that the amps went down was because chlorine and hydrogen gas were being produced, which caused the water around the plates to decrease.

Also, as the chloride was used up, the plates would be less effective.

A mixture of chlorine gas and hydrogen gas is very volatile and can spontaneously explode, making the cell essentially a pipe bomb.

Definitely, keep the SWG off until the flow detector can be fixed.

Do you have any pictures?

Also, running with no flow should not have caused any harm to the cell. The only harm would be if the cell exploded.

Thanks for the explanation, that's pretty crazy. Glad it didn't hurt the cell at least. Here's a few pics of the equipment:

dc7ReDg.jpg

wZyj6E0.jpg

zPtrOy0.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Blinking happens when the Flow switch first closes and should go out in about 30 seconds. Something is definitely wrong with the system.

I suspect that it might be a bad circuit board.

In any case, it should be under warranty.

Blinking happens when the Flow switch first closes and should go out in about 30 seconds. Something is definitely wrong with the system.

I suspect that it might be a bad circuit board.

In any case, it should be under warranty.

Sorry my bad it is solid red after unplugging the flow switch from the control box the starts blinking for a while after plugging back in before generating again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.