George Whitzel

Jul 23, 2017
San jose, california
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have a SWG which is programmed to run all night (at 80% for 9 hours) and it produces chlorine that raises the FC by 3 overnight. On most normal days my FC loss is 2 but on real sunny and hot days FC loss is closer to 3. I been measuring my FC daily and in the morning it reads 9 to 10 and in the evening 7 to 8. Pool is clear and all other readings are balanced but i am having to add about a cup of MA daily to keep PH at 7.2. Should I by running the SWG differently (ie less time or higher %) or is it OK?

No need to keep the pH that low.

The FC level is a bit high I think, but nothing wrong with that. You likely could lower the output some and see if it stabilizes at a lower FC.

Hi George...I run my SWG and pump for 11 hours out of the day. 3 hours are on high and the rest are on low speed. SWG is set at 40% with my target FC of 6. All being said Im holding steady FC of 6-7.

Unless you are having large swim loads daily seems to me you should not have to run SWG at 80%

My pool seems to like pH up around 7.8 for some reason and that works fine for me. I can lower to 7.2 - 7.4 range and it just climbs right back up and holds 7.8 for a few days. Have you tested your fill water for pH? With this Texas heat I have to top off my pool about every 5 days and my fill water tested out at 8 for pH...

Thanks Jason for your reply. As for FC i guess I am running a little ovekill as I recently got over a bout of algae and do not want a recurrence.

I thought running a PH of 7.2 was ideal. How high can it go before it becomes a problem?

That TA will also drive the pH up. But, no need to try to keep it at 7.2. The lower you take it, the faster it will rise.
Although if you want to try to lower the TA (might be losing battle if the fill water has high TA), then you would just keep lowering the pH to 7.2

With a swg my understanding is you want to try and keep a csi between -0.3 to zero.

This will help help prevent scaling on the cell.

so use pool math to find your csi and then play with the numbers. I know my plaster pool likes 7.6-7.8 and stays in that range for about a week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.