Is this mustard algae?

NewPoolGirlTX

Bronze Supporter
Sep 5, 2021
Austin, Texas
Pool Size
Second photo is difficult to see but there is a ring around both drains
This is new plaster, finished in late December.
It does not brush off
It isn't really growing (I keep reading mustard algae grows quick)

This pool remodel has been a nightmare and now this. I am in the process of SLAMing it. Water is clear and there's no CC so I'll do the overnight test tonight

Thanks for any tips. Pool guy wants me to put in Yellow Out and I am seeing here not to do that...

p1.jpgp2.jpg

I can't tell what your pics show? Is that staining?

What are your chem levels?
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if applicable

how are you adding chlorine?? Any other products added??

Please, do NOT add Yellow Out. That would be a bad move.

Maddie :flower:

yes, the staining
only things added to the pool have been the sequestrant, stabilizer, dichlor, baking soda, muriatic acid and I use liquid chlorine.
For the last few weeks, only muriatic acid and chlorine to levels using Pool Math.
The pool sat for about 3 days after filling in December with no chemicals, no circulation.

I have lost faith in my pool guy and am not sure he even did it right after the plaster (he mainly does pebble tech like finishes but I wanted plaster. ) It's supposed to be a commercial grade white plaster.
I don't know how to get a better pic of the drains, but you can easily see it in person.
the jets are odd in that the ones in the pool that seem to be stained, are facing the opposite direction as the ones in the spa where the stain is.

I'm in Central Texas, and the backyard is west so heavy afternoon/evening sun, although not as much with winter. Gets sun from the east after about noon.

My chlorine is currently at slam level so 28
no CC
pH is unreliable, as I assume TA is also
CYA is 70
Haven't tested calcium in awhile but the water is hard. It will be high somewhat but not where it used to be. (well over like 1200 prior to the draining and new plaster)

I'm just confused because everything I read about mustard algae doesn't seem like it fits but I don't know what else it could be. It will not brush off and all instructions after filling were followed (but like I said, I have lost faith in my guy)

So I posted this in the algae forum and didn't get much. But now I do not know if it's algae. I can post all the test results but since the chlorine is so high due to SLAM, I don't know which are reliable.

I have a newly replastered pool. Supposed to be white, commercial grade white quartz plaster (I do not know the brand or anything yet)
I have lost faith in my pool contractor--I am concerned several things may have been done incorrectly.

It has been filled since like January 4. I have developed staining on some of the walls, and around the drains. It's dirty looking, maybe a little yellowish. I also have spots that are turquoise instead of white. I had some of these same type of stains in my old plaster as well. I thought it was due to age and improper care. The spots do not brush off easily, if at all, especially the yellow/brown ones. I even tried using a wire brush and got worried I was damaging the plaster :(

I started the SLAM process because the contractor thought it was mustard algae (he wanted me to use Yellow Out).
Today, I tested with a trichlor puck and ascorbic acid. The puck didn't do anything-- not sitting on the floor stains for several minutes but rubbing the stains A LOT with the puck eventually took off the blue stains and the brown/yellow off the wall. Ascorbic acid in a sock also removed them by rubbing.

So I thought I had metals and set out to gather supplies for the AA treatment. But confused as to how I had so many metals I took a sample of my pool water and my hose water to Leslie's for testing. Leslie's said there is 0 copper and 0 iron in both samples. I do not know if Leslie's other test results are reliable, he took the chlorine down to 15 in order to test the rest.

I can continue the SLAM but the stains are not coming off with brushing.
What do y'all suggest? Continuing SLAM followed by the mustard algae protocol? Or giving the AA protocol a shot? I'm so confused right now.

The mustard algae thing worries me because I do not know how to remove my lights and drains and all that to make sure that every crack and crevice gets dealt with.

I promise I have searched and read and I'm trying my best. Right now I wish I'd filled the darn thing in with dirt.

Thanks for any help at all, or just sympathy!
~Marci

Follow the chemistry results. If ascorbic acid is lifting the stains then go that route.

The metals water test will only find metal that is in solution. If the metals have deposited on your pool surfaces it will not be in the water or found in a test.

Did you do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test?

I did the Overnight test but not sure I did it correctly.
Do I need to before I do the AA treatment?
(but also, where would the metals have come from if there are none in the water that was used for filling and none circulating?)

Thank you for the quick response, I'm so anxious about this whole thing now

~Marci

What were the results?

How did you do it?

Do I need to before I do the AA treatment?

No, just looking to rule out algae and put that behind you.
(but also, where would the metals have come from if there are none in the water that was used for filling and none circulating?)

Dunno. You have to look carefully at what has gone into your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No I have not. Nor have I bought a sequestrant.

You are being very confusing.

Only things that have been added are muriatic acid, sequestrant, liquid chlorine, baking soda, CYA, and dichlor.

My question is do I still do it?

What is it?

or do I continue the SLAM and then do it?
or do I continue the SLAM and then do the mustard algae protocol ?
What were the results?

How did you do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test?

Last edited:
Ahh. You were asking what sequestrant was put in my pool at start up. It was jack's blue stuff. I thought you were referring to the sequestrant I was going to use for the AA protocol, which I haven't purchased yet. I thought you were being confusing 😂

The overnight test on Friday showed a loss of 1, I repeated it Sunday because I got sick and couldn't do much with the pool Saturday (it never got below 14) so I tried again last night and lost 3. I guess I'll continue the SLAM, and hope tonight's test is better

Reactions: Newdude
The reaction isn't where the stains are, though. it is where the AA was actually sprinkled.
Might be copper there? I have used AA, and it just dissolves rapidly in the water.

Let's ask @JamesW for his input.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.