Is this light being placed to close to the surface?

It is "safe" to put it there as in it will be in the water at all times. Now saying that if you want it lower so it shines on the bottom more then ask them to do so. Me? I think it will be fine where it is.

It appears to be okay to me, but perhaps the placement varies by type of light?

Maddie
That is a good point. Thank you
I think there is a code requirement and it might be 18" below the lip of the pool but I can't remember. Why don't you ask the PB?
The PB tells me everything is as it should be. I’m trying to understand everything and don’t want to come off as micromanaging something I know nothing about...although I am sure it seems that way lol. Seeking other opinions here for reassurance. Thank you for replying.

It is "safe" to put it there as in it will be in the water at all times. Now saying that if you want it lower so it shines on the bottom more then ask them to do so. Me? I think it will be fine where it is.
Yes, it is safe. The light they are installing is made for under the water. Thank you for your response.

What will be the depth of the top of the light lens below the normal water level?

Do you have the light installation manual?

Normally, the top of the light lens should be at least 18 inches below the surface of the water.

Some new lights are listed that they only have to be 4 inches below the surface of the water.

If the light is listed and your local code will allow, the top of the light can be 4" below the water level. Otherwise, it should be 18" below the water.

What will be the depth of the top of the light lens below the normal water level?

Do you have the light installation manual?

Normally, the top of the light lens should be at least 18 inches below the surface of the water.

Some new lights are listed that they only have to be 4 inches below the surface of the water.

If the light is listed and your local code will allow, the top of the light can be 4" below the water level. Otherwise, it should be 18" below the water.
Not exactly sure where the light will be placed but I’ll ask the PB. The bottom of the rebar square is measuring 30 inches below the wood frame but I’m not sure where the ultimate placement will be after gunite leveling and coping. The light housing is labeled a a pentair niche lg. The manual was thrown away but I will google that. Thank you for your response.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is the top of the light below the bottom of your skimmer opening?

The light should be submerged at all times. Your water level will always be above the skimmer opening. I would want the light to be at least 12 to 18" below the lowest water level of the pool.

Is the top of the light below the bottom of your skimmer opening?

The light should be submerged at all times. Your water level will always be above the skimmer opening. I would want the light to be at least 12 to 18" below the lowest water level of the pool.
Yes, it is. And it seems the top of the rebar opening is about 9 inches from the bottom of the skimmer. Might need to ask them to place a little lower. Thanks for pointing that out

My hack pool guy put all our pool lights with only 1/2” conduit at the same height at the bottom of the skimmers. One of the many mistakes this incompetent hack did. I did read that all pool lights should be a minimum depth of 18” below water level and a sealed conduit, and well above the water level before the junction box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.