Is this a copper stain?

scchan1w

Mar 6, 2019
Fremont, CA
Just had my pool replastered and it's been filled 4 days ago. I didn't add any sequestering agent as I though my fill water was low in minerals (and hence metal). But I'm noticing some light green stains showing up. I don't think it's algae as the water temperature is probably mid 50s - I didn't add chlorine until day 3, but FC was around 0.5 to 1.0 in my fill water. I raised FC to 3 to 4 yesterday and I think the stains are lighter now, but they don't brush off. I have GLB Sequa-Sol, wondering if I should add it now. Should have maybe added it during the fill but wasn't sure if it would do more harm than good. Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• Untitled copy.jpg
    Untitled copy.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 35

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Try Vitamin C. A couple tabs in a sock and set on it.

Could there me a metal fleck that got there? I assume you did not abalone.

scchan1w

Mar 6, 2019
Fremont, CA
There are more than one such spots, some bigger but lighter. So it’s probably not a piece of metal that fell in.

thanks for the vitamin c suggestion. I will try it but wondering if I should add the sequestrant

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
You might still try the Vitamin C trick. Just to see if it is iron or not.

Copper stains do not present themselves like that. And it would have taken a lot of copper (such as running very acidic water through a heater for a long time) to get enough copper in your pool right after a replaster.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Sequestrant keeps metals in solution. They will not help you once the metal has been deposited as stain on the surface.

I doubt that metals in water will get deposited on the pool surface in 4 days.

scchan1w

Mar 6, 2019
Fremont, CA
Thank you @mknauss and @ajw22. I will monitor it and try Vitamin C when I get a chance. Good to know it's most likely not metals. I didn't see any new spots and the existing ones are the same or slightly lighter (e.g not getting worse)

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.