Is there any way to fix solid pool cover? If not, what should I go with?

Jul 20, 2013
Northeast
Pool cover damage

please see link above.

The cover is about 16 years old. It has lots of gorilla tape patches (not sure if damaged area was patched), but I really hopped it'd last a few more years.

We had more snow than usual this winter and I may have lowered the water a little too much - it's about 6" below tile/skimmer now, not sure what it was when I closed, maybe 8"

I don't know the exact size of the damage, but if there's a way to get it fixed I'd love to know how. (what material, glue, where to get it from, etc)

pool dimensions are about 42x27

Also, I see lowes ( link ) has this cover which may not be big enough to cover my pool since it has to lay on the water, but maybe something bigger would work?

I have very strong winds, I'm afraid water tubes will end up in the pool. Maybe there are cheap covers which can be tied to existing pool cover anchors?

Which companies\brands and the type of covers can you recommend?

thanks

That cover is toast. Hopefully someone will be along soon w/ a replacement recommendation. 16 years was a good run! Are u able to identify the brand to source a new one?

That cover is toast. Hopefully someone will be along soon w/ a replacement recommendation. 16 years was a good run! Are u able to identify the brand to source a new one?
I forgot the brand name. Once the snow melts I'll see it :)
Don't want to spend thousands on the cover, unless I absolutely have to.
I'd much rather spend $200 on a cover every year than pay thousands for better one... or if I could fix this one for a couple hundred and use it another year or two I'd go for it. I would I just need to find the material and glue to use.. no?

I believe lowering water over 6" below skimmer is the reason it ripped , but I'm too paranoid of water getting into skimmers (which it does anyway, maybe because of the holes and winds)

Last edited:
It's not more hazard than the tarp cover, is it?

I have fence, the only thing that worries me are foxes, racoons, groundhogs etc

If you are just interested in a cover, that one from Lowes would work fine. You may need to weigh the edges down with water bags, but those are cheap.

If you are just interested in a cover, that one from Lowes would work fine. You may need to weigh the edges down with water bags, but those are cheap.
I'm interested in the least expensive option, taking into account the strong winds.. water bags may end up in the pool

Also, I think I need larger cover than the one from lowes, so it can lay on the water which needs to be lowered at least 4" I think

And I'm looking for recommendations.

thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What do you guys think of Anchor covers made by Anchor Industries?
This is the cover I have today which lasted about 16 years and I could probably get a couple more years if I didn't lower water too much

They are offering replacement for $3,150: (with existing cover trade-in, they'll use it as a template)
Total Materials: $2361
Labor cost $648
+ tax

Proposal from 2005 was
Cover Material $1440
Installation $400
Also, on the bottom there's a "Notes: Price for 2 covers". I assume $1440+400 is not the price for both covers, but maybe discounted price for one cover ? (I didn't buy the cover, don't know the details)

Not sure what "installation" charge was for, but that invoice doesn't have "labor cost".

Any idea what "Labor cost" is? Is it labor to manufacture the cover or to come out to my home and install cover or anchors?

P.S. I have another question - if I decide to go with heavy duty tarp - are the cover tubes better than buckets filled with water?
Home depot has 4gal buckets under $4, I figured I'd need about 50 buckets. I don't care how it'll look, I just want to know what will work better considering very strong winds

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.