Is there a bleach shortage?

jimsam, DO NOT use this "low splash" or "splashless" product. It is not just regular plain bleach, only thicker. The thickener makes the liquid foam up and soapy. I bought some last summer, noticed the foaming right away, but also it didn't remain active in the pool very long. I was adding more and more daily. I can't remember if I started getting algae growth but I knew something was wrong and came on here and read other posts about "splashless" bleach not being suitable for pool use. It was a waste of time and money.

Also, beware of all the new scents they are adding now. Unneeded and unnecessary.

Lois,

Thanks. I went out after work yesterday and bought 6 cases of HDX Chlorinating liquid at Home Depot and dumped in 2 cases to get rid of some black algae, I dumped in another case this morning.
I have 4 cases of "Cloromax". I wouldn't use it for shock but I'm presuming I can use it in my Hasa "Liquidator" until it's gone. I will not buy it again. Pricewise, the Home Depot stuff is a higher concentration and the price for 3 bottles is within $.50 of the Costco bleach I was buying.

Lois,

Thanks. I went out after work yesterday and bought 6 cases of HDX Chlorinating liquid at Home Depot and dumped in 2 cases to get rid of some black algae, I dumped in another case this morning.
I have 4 cases of "Cloromax". I wouldn't use it for shock but I'm presuming I can use it in my Hasa "Liquidator" until it's gone. I will not buy it again. Pricewise, the Home Depot stuff is a higher concentration and the price for 3 bottles is within $.50 of the Costco bleach I was buying.

Just be careful about the shelf life. Those big box stores store their pool supplies outside, not under temperature controlled conditions. I recently was at Home Depot and saw some of the same brand of chlorine with manufactured dates from November 2017. How good that would be is questionable.

Just be careful about the shelf life. Those big box stores store their pool supplies outside, not under temperature controlled conditions. I recently was at Home Depot and saw some of the same brand of chlorine with manufactured dates from November 2017. How good that would be is questionable.
I saw something similar at my local HD. The outside shelves for pool supplies were facing directly in the afternoon sun and all the labels for the chlorine were faded so badly I could barely even read what the contents were. Scary!!

I got some chlorine at Wally world yesterday. It was stored inside had much more recent dates and seemed to work better. Could you guys update the SLAM guidance to talk about how to check the date on the chlorine and recommending buying it from somewhere where they store it inside. I have a felling I'd be a lot further along had I know to look for these things.

My chlorine's manufactured date yesterday was 18162. Today it is 18163. Tomorrow it will be 18164. Made fresh daily. No waiting in line. No empty shelves. No lugging gallons or big boxes. No shopping for best prices. I have about a six or seven year supply, all stocked up. I keep it on my pool pad. It's about half the size of a bottle of, well, bleach. And best of all... I don't even have to pour it in my pool...

Come on, what'a ya all waiting for? ;)

My chlorine's expiration date yesterday was 18162. Today it is 18163. Tomorrow it will be 18164. Made fresh daily. No waiting in line. No empty shelves. No lugging gallons or big boxes. No shopping for best prices. I have about a six or seven year supply, all stocked up. I keep it on my pool pad. It's about half the size of a bottle of, well, bleach. And best of all... I don't even have to pour it in my pool...

Come on, what'a ya all waiting for? ;)

Where do you find that?
BTW, I think you mean manufactured date not, expiration date.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In the immortal word of Homer Simpson....DOH!

That was my smart-alecky way of encouraging others to convert to SWG. Yes, it's a major up-front cost. But that cost has been shown to be similar to what bleach/liquid chlorine will cost over the lifespan of the SWG. So cost is a wash. You are rolling the dice that the SWG will actually last as long as it's rated to, which, frankly, can backfire. But the convenience is really awesome. I'll lose my SWG functionality in the winter (cold water), which I am already dreading. But for now, I haven't poured any chlorine, nor bought any, nor stored any, for months. I'm so into the convenience that I just last night installed an acid dosing machine, too. For whatever reason, I don't mind testing, I don't mind dosing, but I don't like having to do both. Now I just test, and push a button or two if the numbers are off (and rarely). Eventually, I hope to get to testing once or twice a week, and that will be pool maintenance nirvana: TFP water at only 10 minutes a week. Can you imagine?

That was my smart-alecky way of encouraging others to convert to SWG. Yes, it's a major up-front cost. But that cost has been shown to be similar to what bleach/liquid chlorine will cost over the lifespan of the SWG. So cost is a wash. You are rolling the dice that the SWG will actually last as long as it's rated to, which, frankly, can backfire. But the convenience is really awesome. I'll lose my SWG functionality in the winter (cold water), which I am already dreading. But for now, I haven't poured any chlorine, nor bought any, nor stored any, for months. I'm so into the convenience that I just last night installed an acid dosing machine, too. For whatever reason, I don't mind testing, I don't mind dosing, but I don't like having to do both. Now I just test, and push a button or two if the numbers are off (and rarely). Eventually, I hope to get to testing once or twice a week, and that will be pool maintenance nirvana: TFP water at only 10 minutes a week. Can you imagine?

Tempting for sure...

We now use the Pool essentials from Walmart, since the 6% switchover from most of the Bleach Co.'s . We were using Walmarts 8.25% last year, but now we use the Pool essentials 10% .
Pool essentials are a full gallon, 128 oz bottle , unlike the 121oz bottles (or less) bleach bottles. With the bump to 10% and the full 128oz bottles, the price is actually less than we were paying last year for the 8.25%. We tend to get the 2 gallon box pack, and its been consistently $6.44 at Walmart . Also, we find the 2 gallon box packs are MUCH easier to handle and move than the single bottles .
Date codes have been very good lately with Pool essentials .......... we picked some up yesterday with a date code of 158 ! Since yesterday was 163 .......thats pretty darn fresh !
We keep it sitting on our cold garage floor till we need to use it . Usually have about 4-5 cases on the ready ( about 8-10 gallons) .

I noticed stores in my area being low at times, so for the last year and from now on I go to a wholesale restaurant supply place open to the public.

Case of 6 (1 gallon ea) of 6% for $ 9.

Always fresh and in stock.

I was going to Walmart to stock up on more liquid chlorine and on a whim I decided to see what their bleach prices were. The have 6% plain bleach in 128oz bottles for $1.77. I did the math and that is cheaper than the equivalent amount of 10% liquid chlorine at $3.64. So I bought all they had.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.