Is the OTO test worth using?

yeggim

Jul 2, 2010
Philly
Sorry, the FC values are different on the pool store test/my current test kit and the chart you shared. It shows I should have a minimum value Of 5 but my test only goes to 3.
Mix equal parts pool water and distilled water(or any water that's unchlorinated). A reading of three will actually be six with this diluted sample. Two parts unchlorinated water to one part pool water will triple the reading.

Mix equal parts pool water and distilled water(or any water that's unchlorinated). A reading of three will actually be six with this diluted sample. Two parts unchlorinated water to one part pool water will triple the reading.
That doesn't work. OTO is not reliable to begin with, making it more unreliable with dilution is just pointless. OP just needs to wait for their FAS-DPD test. Good accurate numbers = Good accurate management.

That doesn't work. OTO is not reliable to begin with, making it more unreliable with dilution is just pointless. OP just needs to wait for their FAS-DPD test. Good accurate numbers = Good accurate management.
Don,t mean to be argumentative but OTO is the most reliable test for the presence of chlorine. Is it the best? Definitely not but it's better than nothing. FAS-DPD is King but OTO can be a Prince in a pinch.

"Presence of chlorine" is a pretty nebulous reading. Reliably saying "yes, there is chlorine" and "no, there is not chlorine" is hardly princely.

No, it is not better than nothing, it is far worse than nothing. It is incredibly inaccurate and diluting it just makes it useless for anything more than "chlorine is present". For someone new and trying to learn POP it will only create confusion at a vital time.

Last edited:
Reactions: proavia
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.