Is something clogging the pipe?

Appledapple

Apr 30, 2017
Stuarts Draft, Virginia
I’m trying to figure out what’s going on with my pump. It’s a Hayward Pro Series sand filter. I have it on a timer, and manually turned it on this morning. There was no suction and the small filter that you prime next to the pump didn’t have water flowing around like usual. I tried re-priming it. Water gushed through, the skimmer became very low because it was really sucking the water in, and when I turned the pump off, lots of water came gushing out in the small filter. I’ve tried plunging with a plunger, but just air comes out. Is there anything else I could try before I have to call the pool company?

I’m trying to figure out what’s going on with my pump. It’s a Hayward Pro Series sand filter. I have it on a timer, and manually turned it on this morning. There was no suction and the small filter that you prime next to the pump didn’t have water flowing around like usual. I tried re-priming it. Water gushed through, the skimmer became very low because it was really sucking the water in, and when I turned the pump off, lots of water came gushing out in the small filter. I’ve tried plunging with a plunger, but just air comes out. Is there anything else I could try before I have to call the pool company?
It’s an in ground pool. 32,000 gallons

Two things to check first.

Make sure the weir door at the mouth of your skimmer is not stuck in the closed position.

Check your water level. It should be halfway between the top and bottom of the skimmer mouth.

Reactions: JamesW
A,

It sounds to me like your weir door is stuck in the up position preventing a lot of water getting into the skimmer basket.. This allows the skimmer to run dry.

If the weir door is working, your pump will never be able to suck more water than the skimmer can supply.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: JamesW
Two things to check first.

Make sure the weir door at the mouth of your skimmer is not stuck in the closed position.

Check your water level. It should be halfway between the top and bottom of the skimmer mouth.
I didn’t realize how low the water level was. I added more water and now it’s working again! Thank you!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.