Is our pool sloping too much?

Jul 19, 2017
Kent
We set up our pool about 3 years ago, and spend ages digging and levelling to ensure the pool didn't slope. The first year I think it was ok, with just a very slight slope, and it started to bow at the side a little more each year....or did it? I don't know if it's got worse or better since my pic in 2018.

I was originally looking at the patterns in the pool to gauge how level the water is, or isn't, but I realise now that the patterns aren't even close to level so it's not necessarily a good way to assess how unlevel the water is.

Is there something that can help me measure how unlevel the water is? Probably a silly question, but I have a mental block!

Is the pool bowing to the side the extent mine is going to be safe?

If not, and we have to take it down, could someone give a step by step guide to the best way to take the pool down, fold it up, and re-level the ground as easily as possible please. We have little space around the pool, and the other half is adamant that he is not having anything to do with it, so it is all down to me now. Any tips to levelling ground when it's already had a pool on it would be fab (if I even have to do this!) I'm hoping not....

Attachments

• 2020 bedroom view.jpg
    2020 bedroom view.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 312
  • 2020 eye level view left side.jpg
    2020 eye level view left side.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 309
  • 2020 eye level view.jpg
    2020 eye level view.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 298
  • 2020 right side 2.jpg
    2020 right side 2.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 291
  • 2020 right side.jpg
    2020 right side.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 274
Yeah, that one has me a little nervous as well. Pic #2 seems to show the pool leaning which would confirm why the right side of the pool (near the fence) seems to be bowing-out more than the other side. If it was to fail, that fence would be a goner.

Reactions: Jackie G
Pull a string over the rails across the pool from side to side and make it tight. Then measure down to the water surface. The water will always be level so the difference in your measurement is how uneven you pool is now. I agree that bowing rail would have me concerned as well. Have the upright braces on that side buckled or settled down into the ground?

I’m not one of the experts but I’m up early to go turkey hunting. If I remember correctly the rule they use is anything over 1 inch is unsafe. Hard to tell but it looks like more than that.
Yeah, that one has me a little nervous as well. Pic #2 seems to show the pool leaning which would confirm why the right side of the pool (near the fence) seems to be bowing-out more than the other side. If it was to fail, that fence would be a goner.
Oh no! :( Do you have any pointers as to how best to rectify this so we don't end up in the same situation again please? I know that we will have to take the whole thing down, but what's the best way to approach levelling the ground so that we don't end up with a sloping pool? i'm gutted - just as we are heading in to nice weather :cry::cry::cry:

Pull a string over the rails across the pool from side to side and make it tight. Then measure down to the water surface. The water will always be level so the difference in your measurement is how uneven you pool is now. I agree that bowing rail would have me concerned as well. Have the upright braces on that side buckled or settled down into the ground?
I think they have settled - they are on pavers but too far to the end of the pavers so they have obviously sunk a little too much. No sign of buckling. Any thoughts on how best to ensure we get a level surface that doesn't sink again once water filled?:cry:

Intex pools have that square tile liner pattern on them, if your water is level with the liner pattern the pool will be level.
Sunken paver, I used ceramic tiles as shims when I re leveled my Intex a few years ago, tiles come in 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4", they will not rot out and put you in the same situation over time like a wood shim will do.
Pool full? You can use a hydraulic jack and a jig to jack up the supports with the pool full, google will help you there finding and or making the jig you will need.

Oh ok! I thought our only option would be to empty the pool. The paving slabs we used are not far enough away from the pool, which resulted in them tipping upwards as the frame sat right on the end of the slabs. If we were to somehow move them to a point where the frame sits in the middle of the slab, him indoors reckons that would make it level again. Im not sure I'm convinced ....thank you for this suggestion ?

I would not advise trying to jack up a full intex that is bowing like yours. Round pools have more structural integrity and are a little more forgiving than square or oval pools. The long side wall is a weak link and yours should not be bowing out at all. Empty the pool, dig down to level on firm solid ground, use treated wood and not pavers under the legs and make sure the wood is thick and wide enough to support the pool. Intex recommends treated wood under the legs of their rectangular pools. https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/34/34a3de9f-64ed-4dd4-93a1-2a26e41160e7.pdf see page 7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you. Quick question. Does the wood not rot if its sitting in the earth?

And any tips on how to know if once the earth is level it's not going to sink again. How do you know that it's compact enough? We put ours on a layer of compacted sand which was on soil. Should we remove the sand layer do you think?

There's very little out there that tells people how to do this having spent far too much time researching.
Inevitably, when levelling ground again I am going to have to dig down, and them down some more to place the pavers or wood. Regardless of what I use, there's always the possibility that when I dig to get the pavers level with the levelled ground, I dig too far down, and that the earth won't be solid enough. I'm kind of at a loss as to how to do this bit.

The pool is emptying as I type this. Dreading doing the whole levelling thing again. We spent so much time and money doing it first time around.

I'm guessing that if one end is now lower then the whole flippin area will need to be lowered to that level, including all the sand we placed on top? Nightmare!

What did others do in this situation?

• Sad
Reactions: Jetm2188
Remove the sand layer, find the lowest spot where the legs are now, and dig down the rest of the spots so it is level with the lowest spot. If you use the same foot print where the pool is now that ground will be well compacted by the weight of the pool and there should be very little movement. You can rent a transom or you can build a water level to help you level the pool.

Thank you. I think the water level is a no brainer, isn't it?
Taking the layer of sand off will likely take the level down an inch or so. Fingers crossed that will be sufficient!

Nervous as heck about getting the pavers the right level on properly compacted ground. Worried they will sink lower again but provided I go to where they are now, I guess the lowest one should be compacted enough. Just need to be careful on the others that I don't dig down too far.

Just had a thought...will it matter if the pool isn't in exactly the same place as before? I guess not if all the ground around it is level, but it's knowing exactly where to place the pavers....am I being completely dumb here???????
Thank you for your help! Wish me luck!

Pool still emptying. I have had to take up all the pebbles and bag them in rubble sacks. Now to get rid of all the sand we spread round the sides.
Omg! This is going to be a big job. I have a water level now. Maybe it will empty tomorrow but likely i won't be able to start on the levelling and digging until Monday. Thank you everyone so far for your help ?

Oh my goodness your story sounds just like what I’m going through except I have a 20 x 12 oval pool. One side is about 3 inches lower so water gets splashed out and is now causing the legs to sink on that side!!
I'm no expert but if it's 3 inches out the guys on here usually recommend draining and then digging down to the lowest point and levelling the ground again.

It's my worst nightmare but I know we're in good hands here.?

I hope you manage to get your pool sorted

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.