Is my IC40 working?

In your pool, with the IC40 at 100%, it will add 0.3 ppm FC per hour.
I've been trying to get a handle on that number, how did you arrive at it ? I don't see any calculation on the pool math page. Is the app different from the webpage ?

The Poolmath app, in Effects of Adding Chemicals, does the calculation easier.
But, in the web based Poolmath, you can still do it. Go to Effects of Adding Chemicals. Select Chlorine Gas. Your IC40 can create 1.4 lbs of chlorine gas per day. Or 22.4 ounces.

Reactions: IaMac
Do you have a picture of the cell and the label on the bottom?
I was trying to get the date code, I might have missed the info you wanted? I have previously noted that the IC40 seems to have been made in 2014, which would make it a replacement since the pool was installed in 2012. This might explain why the life used reading indicates 20% (which still seems low unless it was only recently replaced after lying on the shelf for years).

IC40bottom.jpg

Ok, it's about 5 years old. That's a normal life for a cell. However, if the "Cell" light is solid green, the cell should be working correctly.

Maybe it's not reading the amps correctly, but I suspect that it's probably working correctly.

Here's a better pic and I can see the ratings for production. So all I need to do is an ONPT and see if it's within reason. By all other measures it's working.

IC40bottom2.jpg

I'll post those results when I get a chance to run the test.

Also I've just got a solar cover put over the pool. Am I correct in recalling that this should reduce the FC loss due to sunlight (UV)?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, it seems like everything is working.

Maybe it's underperforming but that would usually cause an error indication.

Do you have a good salt test kit like a K-1766?

If not, I would recommend that you get one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.