Is muriatic acid essential?

carnivalday

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Oct 25, 2017
Ocala, FL
So Im running very low on MA, and of course the state is shut down except for essentials. Are pool chemicals considered essential? I guess I can check with Lowes online and see if they ship, but I have a feeling, since its a dangerous chemical, that it can't be shipped. What do I do?

Reactions: Chrissykr
I just wonder if Ill be arrested and thrown in the pokey if Im on the road looking for pool supplies.
If you get arrested, it may be because you look like you just left a crime scene with MA, bleach, and a face mask. :cool:

Ha. You are allowed to be out getting essentials no matter what. Otherwise you couldn’t get meds at the pharmacy, fix your (only)broken toilet, or get more food.

I know, dude. I just dont know of muriatic acid is considered essentials. Tractor Supply is open and they have it, tho its expensive. I can go there and get curbside pickup. Might just do that until we are back to normal....

It certainly isnt essential. But Home Depot/ TSC/ walmart etc is. And while you are 'already there' you are allowed to buy it. All that matters is that you were somewhere that was allowed to be open.

Another option, but not really one that's perfect, is to buy pH down from Amazon. I'd guess it'll be about $20 for 5 to 7 pounds of it and sent right to your door in a few days. I agree with others that stores like Lowes are open, and I'd suspect Lowes too offers curbside pickup......but I totally understand the desire to avoid people right now. Heck, I understand the desire to avoid people almost all the time. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like that idea, Leebo.

I actually read somewhere that stores like Lowes and Home Depot will be shutting down the major part of their stores and just leaving the essential parts open. Which would actually be good for me because I go to Lowes for a $10 part and end up leaving with a $200 charge on my credit card. Im so weak.

• Haha
Reactions: Leebo
I like that idea, Leebo.

I actually read somewhere that stores like Lowes and Home Depot will be shutting down the major part of their stores and just leaving the essential parts open. Which would actually be good for me because I go to Lowes for a $10 part and end up leaving with a $200 charge on my credit card. Im so weak.

Walmart nationwide is limiting the number of people in stores as of today. People simply weren’t listening at all. Next step will be shutting down departments I’ll bet.

As for unneeded items.....Sherry said we “needed one.” ?It was on sale too......Saved $90. Paid online and picked up outside.

image.jpg

Reactions: carnivalday
Ran numbers today. All looking pretty darn good. CYA down to 40; added enough to bump it up to 60. FC is 5.5. What was it last weekend? 5.5. Perfecto. I think Ill do what Leebo suggested and get some pH down off of Amazon (like I need an excuse to go shopping on Amazon). The big box stores are about 15 miles from me, so if I can just get it online, Im all over that. Im adding MA every weekend when I run my tests, so I can pretty much just figure I need to add some every week. Pretty sparkly pool! Havent been in for a few days, been cool. Maybe this afternoon!

Okay the experts are not going to like my response but I am afraid of muriatic acid so I use “dry acid” (aka “pH down” or “pH decreaser”) and it has worked great for me but I know muriatic acid is preferred on this site. It is just an idea if you run out of muriatic acid since you can just order it online and have it delivered since it’s in powdered form. You can order it on Amazon or from any online pool stores. It is more expensive than MA, though. HTH brand’s “pH decreaser” is what I buy. Each container contains 7 lbs.

Last edited:
The only two issues with dry acid are,
  • Additional price
  • Sulfates
For a rare occurrence like this I totally grasp the idea of dry acid. This would be my personal choice in the current world’s circumstance. Now for everyday use I’d take a second look at it as the buildup of sulfates over long periods of time can cause issues, plus it’s more expensive.

Using it once or twice a week for a month won’t hurt, using it weekly for extended periods of times, you may have issues.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Instead of using the 31% acid, you could try the 14.5% acid. It doesn't smell as strong and is all that can be purchased in some parts of the USA. It is about 2x the price of the 31% though. Not sure how this compares to the dry acid.

I am also afraid of muriatic acid. Each time I read about it and the required precautions it make me scared. More than that, I don’t understand how people store it safely. How are you doing this seriously? It can’t be stored inside. Outside yes, but not under the sun, far from metals, equipments or anything you care about.

That said, I would like to use muriatic acid as many recommend here but I don’t see how.

I always use dry acid each week or when required to lower ph. What will happen? What the sulfates will do exactly? For what is it harmful? For the people or the pool itself?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.