Is it worth it??

I would, Scout. Nothing to lose but time. Something had to be off for you to have that much rust in 10 months.

I could be wrong, but doesn't salt water corrode metal much faster than fresh water?

Water in a SWG pool is not really "salt water" because the salt concentration is so low. It is not uncommon for a non-SWG pool to get a salt level up to 1500+ppm. A SWG pool requires areound 3000ppm. The ocean is 35000ppm.

Trying to blame a SWG for corrosion does not make a lot of sense.

I did call them and they told me they only warranty the pool for 30 days! YES, not a typo lol 30 day. So I learned a valuable lesson, cost me about $700.00. I still may write them a formal letter with detailed pictures just to see. Who knows? I just read hundreds of positive reviews on amazon and then made the decision to purchase. Can't believe I'm the only one that has had such rust issues. I do have the SWG as well.

Our first Ultraframe lasted 5 years. Our new one last year had rust within 30 days ... I called Intex before 30 days and they would only send us one or two new poles if we had rust, but would not replace "half the pool" if it had rusted that bad. Basically told us we were out of luck. You are not alone, unfortunately.

Water in a SWG pool is not really "salt water" because the salt concentration is so low. It is not uncommon for a non-SWG pool to get a salt level up to 1500+ppm. A SWG pool requires areound 3000ppm. The ocean is 35000ppm.

Trying to blame a SWG for corrosion does not make a lot of sense.

Bought new 26 x 52 in May 2017

Setup late May 2017

Used Intex slatwater system

After removing cover and adding water, frame is catastrophic to the point of failure.

Draining now to throw away.Pool.jpg

Salt was maintained at proper levels.

Bought new 26 x 52 in May 2017

Setup late May 2017

Used Intex slatwater system

After removing cover and adding water, frame is catastrophic to the point of failure.

Draining now to throw away.View attachment 77573

Salt was maintained at proper levels.

I suspect a reduction in Intex quality is to blame. Other have reported using an older version for 5+ years with no issues. Then getting a new one and it rusting out in only 1-2 years.

Hard to say if you would not have gotten it to rust out if you were NOT using the SWG.

Back to skimmers (heehee)

We use a PoolDevil AND a through the wall Hayward Skimmer upgrade (on our tiny round pool, the skimmer and the return are too close together for it to be AS effective as it is on a straight-sided pool).

We will absolutely upgrade our next APG to a Hayward skimmer, being able to use a "real" vacuum (not hose powered kind) is insanely awesome! We live in a small-ish "country town" and gets LOTS of dirt and grassland burn ash, not to mention the neighbors tree leaves!

Don't use Salt Water with any metal. Being and Engineer and growing up in Cleveland, Ohio where they salt the heck out of the roads in winter and your car rots out taught me life lessons on this.

That is not supported nor true with SWCG pools. The low level of salt is not significant.

pH is far more a threat to metal in a pool environment. High pH will corrode metal items quickly. SWCG cause higher pH rise and many pool owners do not effectively monitor their pH.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.