Is it worth it??

I am looking for inexpensive but helpful ways to keep the pool clean, once we get it set up. We keep a canopy over it in order to keep from having to apply massive amounts of sunblock which also keeps things from falling in, but I am thinking more about bugs and such. I saw on amazon right now the [FONT=&quot]Intex Deluxe Wall Mount Surface Skimmer, would that be worth it for my pool? I have a 12' x 30" intex with a 1000 gph pump.[/FONT]

Yeah, I'm not that comfortable yet. But would this one be worth adding?
A14HNMbUVsL._SL1500_.jpg

I had one, and yes, it was totally worth it. Between that and the Intex robot vacuum, I literally never had to do anything to remove debris from the pool, other than emptying basket and vacuum every so often.

You just need to watch water level because if it gets too low, the skimmer won’t work unless you adjust the arm or add water. Helpful to have a second inlet to protect pump, but not necessary.

Yep, the holes that suck water out are the inlets (because they move water “in” to the pump) and the other hole is the return (returns water to the pool.)

I went the intex route last summer. Pool has rusted out at about 70%. Two horizontal top bars have completely rusted and crumbled off the verticals support. My wife and I have been sick over it since about January when we noticed it getting bad. We paid about $700 probably another $150 in hayward skimmer addon etc. If you can prevent yours from rusting to pieces as ours did then the hayward skimmer on side is good option. Worked great on ours but again what good is skimmer when pool is crumbling! We are about to tear it down and put up a new Sharkline Venture, should be here in about 7-10 days! CAN'T WAIT! And if you add skimmer don't be afraid to cut intex pool it will do just fine. I've had family of 5 playing all last summer and some this month no probs at all. The skimmer has effectively outlasted the pool! IMG_6495.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
yeah, literally we are at month 10! We couldn't believe it. Positive note is, stayed crystal clear for 10 months, kids loved it. But it's got to go. They say hindsight is 20x20 so i'm seeing pretty good right now. Hoping I don't have same probs with the venture we are getting.

Yep, the holes that suck water out are the inlets (because they move water “in” to the pump) and the other hole is the return (returns water to the pool.)

I prefer to use the terms "suction" and "return" ... inlet is too arbitrary ... inlet to what? the pump or the pool?

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, literally we are at month 10! We couldn't believe it. Positive note is, stayed crystal clear for 10 months, kids loved it. But it's got to go. They say hindsight is 20x20 so i'm seeing pretty good right now. Hoping I don't have same probs with the venture we are getting.

So, the question on everyone's mind is .... did you have a SWG or not? That seems very atypical for what we see with Intex pools. Wonder if it was flawed somehow?

At 10 months old is there any warranty? Might be worth contacting them. Even if you do not keep the pool and sell it.

Yeah, I'm not that comfortable yet. But would this one be worth adding?
A14HNMbUVsL._SL1500_.jpg

I had one of those and it never stayed straight. Yes, it helped but drove me crazy because always tipped to one side or the other. Then, one day, the handle broke and that was the end. Cheap enough to try though.

(This is my first time back on the forum in about a year so I probably won't respond for a while but I hope this helps)

Mine stayed straight, after I realized I needed to check the screws every now and then and tighten them. I tightened them so much I needed help taking it off! But it did keep it straight!

I had a deluxe skimmer like that as well and it was okay, but a Hayward Dyna-skim thru-wall skimmer worked much better. Plus kids roughhousing in the pool tended to knock the Intex one off a lot.

I did call them and they told me they only warranty the pool for 30 days! YES, not a typo lol 30 day. So I learned a valuable lesson, cost me about $700.00. I still may write them a formal letter with detailed pictures just to see. Who knows? I just read hundreds of positive reviews on amazon and then made the decision to purchase. Can't believe I'm the only one that has had such rust issues. I do have the SWG as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.