Is downsizing from 3hp variable to 1.85hp variable a valid suggestion if we want to try to solve the air bubble issue?

Also about that center rod, you may have already checked, but they can turn counter clockwise quite easily when turning the knob on the top. At least mine did on occasion. Eventually I ended up- taking the rod out completely, cleaning the bottom hole, then just as it was getting snug during install I'd use a pipe wrench to give the rod an ever-so-slight final tightening to ensure it was seated well.

Also about that center rod, you may have already checked, but they can turn counter clockwise quite easily when turning the knob on the top. At least mine did on occasion. Eventually I ended up- taking the rod out completely, cleaning the bottom hole, then just as it was getting snug during install I'd use a pipe wrench to give the rod an ever-so-slight final tightening to ensure it was seated well.
Yeah, that's exactly what happened to me just few mins ago.

I turned knob clockwise.. being careful that it's at an angle where it doesn't lock up too early (I gently vibrate the top part). Turn some more, but then it gets hard/stuck.

I counter-clockwised to take top part off. Turns out rod had unscrewed all the way from bottom part - this was after I ensured the rod is screwed in all the way into the bottom part.

So frustrating.

Besides this, I still cannot connect top and bottom parts without the rod itself. This bit is bothering me. I need to find and buy proper pool lube before trying connect top/bottom parts again.

You mentioned taking knob off all the way to clean it up - how did you do that? I took a look after removing that white "cup" thing (helps guide rod into the threading part of cylinder) - I think I see a locking clip in place, I assume I'd need to remove that (by stretching the locking clip outwards) before I can take the knob off to try to clean it up?

You mentioned taking knob off all the way to clean it up - how did you do that?
Go back to my links from earlier. There's a good description of the knob repair. If your filter is like mine, you'll need to remove that white plastic (inverted) guide cup (that the rod slides into) to access the e-clip inside. That e-clip holds the knob in place. Then you can pull the knob all the way out. I bet you think the knob is fully seated when in reality it is not. That was the case in my situation. Mine was rusted.

I would get a new filter system. Waterway. A 325 sf version would work. $800 at Polytec Pools.

Go back to my links from earlier. There's a good description of the knob repair. If your filter is like mine, you'll need to remove that white plastic (inverted) guide cup (that the rod slides into) to access the e-clip inside. That e-clip holds the knob in place. Then you can pull the knob all the way out. I bet you think the knob is fully seated when in reality it is not. That was the case in my situation. Mine was rusted.
Yup, mine is exactly like that. White plastic guide cup, and removed, I see an e-clip (thanks for the proper term). Alright, sounds like I have some steps to try (although I'm also concerned with being unable to connect top & bottom parts without the rod and the filter. Might be two issues here.

I would get a new filter system. Waterway. A 325 sf version would work. $800 at Polytec Pools.

Ordered this the same say you suggested this (last Sunday). Thanks by the way, great pricing!

Unfortunately there was a situation with the freight deliveryperson today. Despite me showing him I had explicit instructions from Polytec Pools to investigate box for damages including opening up box to ensure the item is inside and has no damage:

"Please make sure that someone is there to receive this shipment. Also make sure that you open the boxes and thoroughly inspect the item/s before signing for them. After you sign for the freight we are unable to file a claim for any damages. Thank you."

The deliveryperson proceeded to call his supervisor and came back telling us we cannot open up the box. I told him we cannot accept the item then, he took the item back.
Not sure what is going to happen next now, I've already notified Polytec Pools of the situation and shared with them a private (unlisted) Youtube video showing the video clip from our Google Nest Doorbell showing the situation unfold from start to end.

Sigh, looks like we're going have our swim season delayed for a bit longer.

c,

I think the key is to inspect things if there appears to be damage to the shipping box. If the box is undamaged, I doubt there would be shipping damage, at least anything could be claimed against the shipper.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is odd. Was the box damaged?
No, the box appeared fine. However, I paid $800, shouldn't I be able to open up and confirm the item is what I ordered (no swapping of item or such?).

I'm just taking PolyTec Pool's instructions at heart, I didn't expect to run into resistance here. This seems to be a communication issue between Polytec Pools and the freight service used - Polytec Pools seems to be under the impression I can open up the box to confirm before signing, whereas the deliverperson seems to think I cannot do that without signing first.

So you think Polytec Pools's instructions here was potentially incorrect? The wording seems unambiguous to me. (personally identifiable info has been edited out in the image: freight name, website, phone number, tracking number)

Screen Shot 2023-03-31 at 4.37.47 PM.png

Last edited:
Happy to report that the ordeal is finally over. Via subsequent interactions/dialogue with Polytec Pools, they confirmed that they wanted me to actually open up the box and inspect before accepting. So I guess there was some sort of miscommunication between Polytec Pool and the freight service they hired for the delivery.

Anyway, re-delivery was arranged (this time I would have accepted tank of deliveryman says I cannot inspect inside of box again). I accepted the box, only to realize PolyTec Pool's local supplier sent me the wrong item (ugh). It was a Waterway DE, when my order was for cartridge filter tank. So a pickup was arranged, with a delivery of correct item scheduled. Finally got correct item. Ordered Calimar 3hp VSP next.

Found local pool service guy willing to install the new cartridge filter tank and pump - we're back in business! Updated my signature to reflect the new setup.

Reactions: Newdude and mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.