Is Black Algae sometimes not controllable?

Dobe, are you using PoolMath to guide you on how much chemical to add? Chlorine is a *consumable* item meaning it has to be added *daily*. You can't wait a week between doses.

What is the pool guy adding to your pool?

Maddie :flower:

Dobe, are you using PoolMath to guide you on how much chemical to add? Chlorine is a *consumable* item meaning it has to be added *daily*. You can't wait a week between doses.

What is the pool guy adding to your pool?

Maddie :flower:
Hi Maddie: I downloaded the app and am trying to find the time to start! I'm not sure what pool guy is adding.

Does it matter what brand bleach I use?

At Home Depot the price varies dramatically:

$2.97 (121oz) Triple Action Cloralen Regular bleach (5% sodium hypochlorite concentration)? It's sold at Home Depot. I'm guessing because it's so much cheaper than other Bleach there must be some issues with using it. Contains sodium hypochlorite (RQ = 100 lb/45.4 kg) and sodium hydroxide (RQ = 1000 lb/454 kg)

$6.58 (121 oz.) Clorox Concentrated Germicidal Liquid Bleach Cleaner

Thank you.

At Home Depot, you need

1 Gal. Pool-Care Chlorinating Liquid (2-Pack)​

It is 10% sodium hypochlorite concentration.

You need to know what the pool person is adding or fire them and take over your pool water chemistry maintenance.

So, now to answer your question. It doesn't matter if you shake well or not. The pH test or the chlorine test (both in the comparator block) will work just fine as long as they are mixed. Don't overthink these tests they have a lot of leeway and are designed to be used by a wide spectrum of pool owners.
Shaking the pH test does change the result. Just like aerating the pool, aerating your sample (via shaking) raises the pH.

A simple inversion mixes thoroughly while minimizing the aeration.

At Home Depot, you need

1 Gal. Pool-Care Chlorinating Liquid (2-Pack)​

It is 10% sodium hypochlorite concentration.

You need to know what the pool person is adding or fire them and take over your pool water chemistry maintenance.
Is this the product?

1 Gal. Pool-Care Chlorinating Liquid (2-Pack) by HDX? $8.98​

1. Is it used on a daily basis?

2. Should I tell the pool guy that's what he needs to use?

3. What should I specifically ask pool guy, other than, what kind of bleach/chlorine he's using?

4. Also do I need to buy something like

Pool Mate 1-2607B Stabilizer and Conditioner for Swimming Pools, 7-Pound (Cyanuric Acid)​

Thanks!

1. Is it used on a daily basis?
Yes. Your pool water needs a daily source of chlorine to maintain the chemistry.
2. Should I tell the pool guy that's what he needs to use?
They will not manage your pool using the TFPC process. They use solid forms of chlorine that add CYA or calcium. What they do must attempt to raise the FC level high enough each week when they visit to make it to the next visit. The result is what you have now. To properly manage pool water chemistry in a residential pool, the pool owner needs to take control of the pool water chemistry and maintain it themselves. That is the cornerstone of TFPC.
3. What should I specifically ask pool guy, other than, what kind of bleach/chlorine he's using?
What chemical and amount of chemical are they adding each week. However, you will never take control of the pool water chemistry with a once a week visit from someone uninterested in your pool.
4. Also do I need to buy something like
You do not share your Poolmath logs so I do not know what your current pool water chemistry is to be able to answer that.

You do not share your Poolmath logs so I do not know what your current pool water chemistry is to be able to answer that.

I will definitely share my pool math logs with you! I just downloaded the app. and haven't done any testing yet. The pool guy comes today.

Should I do the testing and enter the numbers in the app after he leaves?

I should add that nowadays the pool is almost never used! At one time it was used a lot now it's used maybe twice a year. I keep it only because it's a beautiful pool and I like the way it looks in the backyard.
But... It does get a lot of sun.

I asked about the Cyanuric Acid because as long as I'm at Home Depot I'd like to buy it if you think I'm likely to need it in the next few months.

Thanks

I will definitely share my pool math logs with you! I just downloaded the app. and haven't done any testing yet. The pool guy comes today.

Should I do the testing and enter the numbers in the app after he leaves?

I should add that nowadays the pool is almost never used! At one time it was used a lot now it's used maybe twice a year. I keep it only because it's a beautiful pool and I like the way it looks in the backyard.
But... It does get a lot of sun.

I asked about the Cyanuric Acid because as long as I'm at Home Depot I'd like to buy it if you think I'm likely to need it in the next few months.

Thanks
Hi dobe, we can’t answer whether you should buy some CYA because we don’t know what your current level is. It breaks down extraordinarily slowly in the water so you don’t want to over-add. And, if your pool guy has been using stabilized pucks, it’s possible your CYA is already through the roof.

The test results will tell the story.

About 2 hours after the the pool guy left I did the tests. He says he only puts chlorine in during the cold season. In a few weeks he says he puts in a chlorine stabilizer. That's probably wrong... Although the pool looks great. It's clear and no algae.

I bought some "Pool Time" dry chlorine stabilizer 100% Cyanuric acid when I bought the 1 Gal. Pool-Care Chlorinating Liquid (2-Pack) by HDX suggested by Marty.

Pool Math says add 9 lbs. 6 oz. of CYA! The package I bought is "only" 5 lbs. I guess I need to go back to Home Depot, assuming I did this correctly.

Here are the test results:

FC: 3.5

CH: 175

TA: 130

PH: 8.2

CYA: Zero

Thanks!

Assuming you tested good, the PH is way high and 8.2 is all that you can read at its top limit. Accordingly the TA is high but will come down gradually as you handle the PH. Course of action now is to treat the high PH say for 7.8 as per pool math and see if it comes down below the 8.2 then when it reaches a measurable level bring it down to 7.4 . Get stabilizer in there for a CYA of 30. Do it in stages as not to overshoot by much. Then bring the FC to target level for 30 CYA as per the CYA/FC chart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would be very careful adding CYA if you are going to keep the pool service. It is doubtful they will test the pool and just dump in stabilizer (CYA) on their normal routine.

I told the pool guy not to add any CYA. I said I would do it. For the near future I told him not to add any chemicals until I figure out what I'm going to do.

Should I add 5 lbs. of the cyanuric acid today?

Pool math says target PH is 7.6. It says add 3 lbs of Dry Acid. Walmart has Clorox PH Down. Is that what I should use?

Use muriatic acid. It is sold in a box of two gallons in the pool section at Home Depot. Preferably 31.45%. Be careful using it. Store it outside not near metal.

Yes. But do not add more until that is fully dissolved and you test CYA again. I suspect you have some CYA in the water.

Sorry. I don't know the sock method?
Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

Interesting! I did it but the sock only held about 2.5 pounds. Do I put the rest in another sock after the CYA is gone from the current sock? I guess I'm asking if slowly adding the CYA over days is ok.
Thanks for all the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.