Is Alk of 50 or 60 OK with Nature2?????

duganderson

Jan 26, 2021
Minneapolis
I have a 400 g. tub and use Nature2, add MPS after every use and bleach shock about weekly. CYA = 22. Test everything with Taylor. Use tub generally with 1 person about 20 minutes for 7-12 times per week. I use Muriatic Acid (Acid Magic) to lower my PH which I know lowers my alk too.

The Nature2 says Alk should be 80-120. I,however, have to get alk at 50-60 to get PH down to 7.6 Can I leave my alk at 50-60 even though nature2 says it should be 80 OR should I get it to 80 with baking soda. Any thoughts or tips appreciated?

Also, when your PH rises due to aeration, I'm assuming it stays at that level versus lowering when the jets are off, right?

Thanks, Doug

The Nature2 says Alk should be 80-120. I,however, have to get alk at 50-60 to get PH down to 7.6 Can I leave my alk at 50-60 even though nature2 says it should be 80 OR should I get it to 80 with baking soda. Any thoughts or tips appreciated?

pH is the important number that you feel and affects your spa. Manage your pH and as long as your TA is over 50 you are fine.

You don;t feel TA and TA does not directly affect your spa. TA only affects your pH.

Adding baking soda to rasie the TA will also raise your pH. So you cannot win with that move.

Also, when your PH rises due to aeration, I'm assuming it stays at that level versus lowering when the jets are off, right?

Once pH rises it takes acid to lower it.

I've read a lot of things that say that Alk should not be lower than 80. Below 80, I've read things that can happen like Etching of pool plaster, vinyl liners become stiff and brittle AND Corrosion of metals in ladders, handrails and heat exchangers. Do folks believe that is true in hot tubs with Alks at 50 or 60 if they are using Borates in their pool?

I've read a lot of things that say that Alk should not be lower than 80. Below 80, I've read things that can happen like Etching of pool plaster, vinyl liners become stiff and brittle AND Corrosion of metals in ladders, handrails and heat exchangers.

You have not read any of that here.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

TA alone creates none of those effects. TA is one of the components of the CSI that can contribute to etching or corrosion.

PoolMath calculates CSI for you.

Do folks believe that is true in hot tubs with Alks at 50 or 60 if they are using Borates in their pool?

No.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

TA alone creates none of those effects. TA is one of the components of the CSI that can contribute to etching or corrosion.

PoolMath calculates CSI for you.
I read the ABCs of Pool Chemistry early in my hot tub process but I agree that reading it again would be a great idea since my understanding of the Chemistry of hot tubs has increased a LOT due to this web page.

Thank you for the reference about CSI and I will read more about that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.